EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Would you American guys every drive around without auto insurance? Or is it too risky (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/would-you-american-guys-every-drive-around-without-27664.html)

jameskshaffer 11-30-2013 02:58 PM

Would you American guys every drive around without auto insurance? Or is it too risky

We all know that in the USA, driving without insurance is illegal (unless you live in New Hampshire, where you have the option to drive without auto insurance if you would like)

This article lets you know how you can get around those laws - How To Drive Without Auto Insurance And Not Get Caught (google it).

Still seems a little risky IMO.

AntiochOG 11-30-2013 03:53 PM

I wouldn't do it. $50 a month is better than going bankrupt if I ever crash into someone's new car.

Allch Chcar 11-30-2013 04:07 PM

Buy auto insurance or sell the car. That's my opinion.

Frank Lee 11-30-2013 05:25 PM

It's risky without it AND it is a scam. :mad:

Superfuelgero 11-30-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allch Chcar (Post 401404)
Buy auto insurance or sell the car. That's my opinion.

I second that, but I do spend a lot on it. I added up what I on "just in case" to keep life status quo (car, life, homeowners, dental, vision, unemployment, disability, etc) and it's a third of my income. Makes you wonder... then you realize its not worth it.

user removed 11-30-2013 06:18 PM

I knew a gent who drove 11 years without a license, doesn't mean I would recommend it.
A third of your income on insurance is getting rediculous.

regards
Mech

NeilBlanchard 11-30-2013 10:53 PM

We have to have insurance, by law (in this state anyway). You cannot register the car without it. And you cannot get the required safety inspection without a registration, either.

No insurance, no plates. You can do big damage to other people and to other people's property. Knock out the electricity, and businesses could be ruined. Kill or maim someone and you will be bankrupted.

ksa8907 11-30-2013 11:13 PM

Insurance may be a ripoff but with the litigious nature of america, (I.e. suing mcdonalds for burning yourself on hot coffee), its convenient.

NachtRitter 11-30-2013 11:45 PM

In the list of things to do if you want to drive without insurance, they forgot to mention "don't get into an accident". Which is rather difficult to plan for.

They also don't mention how to keep your tags from expiring if you need to have proof of insurance to renew your tags.

And finally, I enjoyed the last sentence:
Quote:

If you are sick of paying for over-priced car insurance and want to drive without it, you can’t most likely get away with it if you follow these ten rules to the T.
Intentional?

Superfuelgero 12-01-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 401460)
Insurance may be a ripoff but with the litigious nature of america, (I.e. suing mcdonalds for burning yourself on hot coffee), its convenient.

Good old McDonald's coffee. Please don't perpetuate the myth. McDonald's coffee was too hot, almost 200 degrees actually (imagine drinking the water in your radiator). They kept settling out of court for next to nothing (less than $1k, over 700 times).She needed $20k to handle skin grafts, they would only give her $800. So they went to trial, and the jury punished McDonald's since they wouldn't change their ways. The final settlement (after the headline grabbing verdict), was closer to $500k. Which is what it took for them to quit, and is more than fair IMHO.

Here's a link to the pictures McDonald's wanted to pay $800 dollars for to a little old lady (warning: graphic)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jqHC3ome9L...naldsburns.jpg

All of my insurance is mandatory (except life), or I would drop it. I only fear lawyers once a semester ;)