EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Would you Drive a Smart if ... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/would-you-drive-smart-if-6711.html)

trikkonceptz 01-09-2009 07:41 PM

Would you Drive a Smart if ...

5 Attachment(s)
It looked like this? It would be awesome if the rights could be purchased to make these photochopped mini's that would fit over a smart frame. Imagine a modular Smart car, that allowed you to change bodies with minor modifications.

Enjoy ..

cfg83 01-09-2009 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
trikkonceptz -

From a safety POV, I think the design would have to incorporate the "safety cell" or at least a brand new safety cell design. I think the (failed) Smart Roadster would make a better platform for your idea because the safety cell is "already low" by design :

Smart Roadster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1231548848

CarloSW2

Lazarus 01-09-2009 08:10 PM

Hey what about the smart in my avatar.

MetroMPG 01-09-2009 08:31 PM

Trik: those look fun, but I still like this modded smart:

http://metrompg.com/posts/photos/jetcar.jpg

Tandem seating a la VW 1 liter car means both reduced frontal area and lower Cd.

Escaping from the original car's poor aerodynamics to this shape results in 2.5 L/100 km / 94 mpg US / 113 mpg Imperial.

Based on the previous gen smart (with the diesel): Modded smart car: Jetcar 2.5

MetroMPG 01-09-2009 08:46 PM

Woohoo!

(Sorry for the threadjack :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqJv...eature=related

Peter7307 01-09-2009 10:40 PM

Sorry but no way.
I test drove the Roadster when it was released here and it was about the worst car I have ever been in.
Horrible dynamics and the rest of the car was about the same.
The salesman kept telling me it was the "new Fiat X-19". Clearly he had never been in one of those.

I felt like it had been a design study from a third year art college class.

Lots of blurb about "elements" , style and little substance.

My wallet stayed firmly closed..

Pete.

Bicycle Bob 01-10-2009 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the Nido safety Car from Pininfarina looks more like the Smart, and better than any of those funny cars, as well as the original. I have long been tempted to make a 7/10 scale model of an already small car, though, just for the reactions. For serious production, though, I think that design is an iterative process - starting from a given external shape can really twist the guts inside to fit, or waste space if it is available.

blueflame 01-10-2009 08:22 AM

Like a dolphin, a tuna or marlin, a vehicle shape belies its handling and performance.

Frank Lee 01-10-2009 08:29 AM

Ha ha, Jetcar's using the word "uncompromising". :D

Engineering is all about compromising.

cfg83 01-10-2009 03:25 PM

MetroMPG -

That's cute. It reminds me of a smaller sharp-cornered version of that late 1970's "banana car" that had a fantastic Cd. Can't remember the name so I can't find a picture.

CarloSW2

Frank Lee 01-10-2009 03:36 PM

"Pininfarina was one of the first companies to install a wind tunnel (in 1972). A direct result of testing in this environment was the PF-CXR family- size car, which achieved a world record Cd figure of 0.161 and had a curious banana-shaped form: Pininfarina proved it could be practical by creating a version with air intakes, lights, and mirrors (though the Cd figure increased lo 0.23)."

cfg83 01-10-2009 03:58 PM

Frank -

Thanks, that's the one! I'll bet that Russian car styling website has a picture of it.

CarloSW2

cfg83 01-10-2009 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Frank -

Got it!

1978 Pininfarina Studio CNR (Pininfarina)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1231698787
Quote:

Compasso d’Oro Award 1979 for this Ideal Aerodynamic Shape, outcome of a theoretical experimental research project promoted by the National Research Italian Council. The outstanding drag coefficient (CD=0,20) allowed to achieve a substantial reduction in fuel consumption.
CarloSW2

Frank Lee 01-10-2009 06:04 PM

Good work! :thumbup:

basslover911 01-10-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 82426)
trikkonceptz -

I think the (failed) Smart Roadster would make a better platform for your idea because the safety cell is "already low" by design :

Smart Roadster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1231548848

CarloSW2

So, why "failed"?

cfg83 01-10-2009 08:35 PM

basslover911 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by basslover911 (Post 82621)
So, why "failed"?

From the same wiki :

Quote:

The Smart Roadster is a two-door microcar first introduced in 2003 by Smart GmbH. Sales of the Roadster and Roadster Coupé were below expectations, resulting in a halt of production of both models in November 2005 after 43,091 Roadsters were made. The last one now resides in the Mercedes-Benz Museum.
But when I read the Wiki more closely, it seems that someone's still making their own versions in limited production.

Quote:

Project Kimber and the AC Ace Roadster

Project Kimber bought the tooling for the Roadster for approximately £11M and was supposedly to restart production of the car in 2007 in South Wales. The reborn Smart was to have worn an AC Ace badge under the famous AC marque.

However, if it ever appears, it is set to be available as a Roadster and Coupé. The newcomer is expected to have a fresh Mitsubishi power-plant and gearbox, plus a distinct original style created by Keith Helfet, who also worked on the Jaguar F-Type concept car. Production was due to start in 2007, but has not as of yet. The maker hoped to build 8,000 examples of the AC Ace every year.

This also makes me want to mention the Smart Forfour :

Smart Forfour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rt_forfour.jpg

I really wish this version had succeeded, because of it's aesthetics and more "general-purpose" practicality.

CarloSW2

i_am_socket 01-11-2009 11:21 AM

I'd drive a smart if it had better base milage, enough room to put the groceries, and was cheaper.

anomoly40 01-11-2009 01:24 PM

I'd drive a Smart if they come with the Suzuki GSX-R engine as an option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c

And the Jetcar 2.5 video made me want to get out some glow sticks.

trikkonceptz 01-11-2009 01:45 PM

How can you drive with the engine as your passenger? I guess it would be great for keeping your lunch warm. The noise and fumes would probably drive anyone insane.

Not to say it is not cool .. LOL

jimp 01-11-2009 04:55 PM

I've driven an 08 smartfortwo, not a bad car, but my mazda 3 is MUCH more fun!!!

MetroMPG 01-11-2009 05:34 PM

Mercedes-Benz Canada offered me an '08 fortwo to test for a day or two in & around Toronto.

I asked for more time to do a review worthy of EcoModder on my home turf, but they were reluctant since the majority of visits to this site are from the US, and their mandate is to work with Canadian media only. (Roughly 12% of our traffic is from north of the 49th. Seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but there you go.)

I might still take them up on it, but I'm not as enthusiastic about a 2 day loan. It'd be hard to get a good sense of the car and generate some good information in that short a time.

Frank Lee 01-11-2009 09:02 PM

Ya just hafta drive the snot outta it in 2 days! :eek:

cfg83 01-12-2009 12:42 AM

MetroMPG -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 82743)
Ya just hafta drive the snot outta it in 2 days! :eek:

I agree with Frank. 2 days may not be enough per se, but your Eco-butt-dyno will be better than 90% of the rest.

CarloSW2

NeilBlanchard 01-12-2009 01:02 PM

Hi,

I would drive a Smart car if it had as many seats as the Scion iQ!

andylaurence 10-01-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter7307 (Post 82446)
Sorry but no way.
I test drove the Roadster when it was released here and it was about the worst car I have ever been in.
Horrible dynamics and the rest of the car was about the same.
The salesman kept telling me it was the "new Fiat X-19". Clearly he had never been in one of those.

I felt like it had been a design study from a third year art college class.

Lots of blurb about "elements" , style and little substance.

My wallet stayed firmly closed..

Pete.

Really? I drove one half a mile and found it to be so dynamically fantastic I was hooked and bought one. It's the best car I've ever had, simply because it's so much fun to drive and it gets good economy. Of course, it's noisy, there's no escaping that but I prefer it in every other way to the BMW 330d it replaced.

As for the JetCar. 48000 Euros? I could buy 8 low mileage Smart Roadsters for that!

jimp 10-01-2009 05:49 PM

I've driven a friends Smart car, it's an ok commuter DD, but the base mpg is not all that impressive IMO, handling is ok, noise level is kinda high, but fun to drive. I bought a mazda 3 HB 2.3 mtx, much more fun, can get out of the way of other traffic if needed, and i get mid to high 30's mpg consistently as my DD with mild hypermiling techiques. Have gotten 40 dfe before on some days.

andylaurence 10-02-2009 07:23 AM

I've got a lifetime ~37mpg (US) driving mine as fast as I can. That includes track days at the Nurburgring, Hungaroring and a test track in the UK, a road rally and an AutoSolo. I don't use hypermiling techniques, I use 6000rpm daily, I use full throttle much of the time, yet I still get these figures. Show me another car with these attributes and I'll buy one. I can get mid-40s (US) if I want to and most people seem to get that in normal use.

alohaspirit 10-05-2009 04:13 PM

If I were given one for free, Id rock a smart... hardcore

the main reason thats stopping me is the price

Rokeby 10-05-2009 06:45 PM

To my eye, the Pininfarina Studio CNR,

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1231698784

looks a whole lot like a pregnant, four-wheel, four-passenger Aptera... :rolleyes:

All the better for getting Federal EV/PHEV development funds. :thumbup:

andylaurence 10-06-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohaspirit (Post 131878)
If I were given one for free, Id rock a smart... hardcore

the main reason thats stopping me is the price

Are they expensive there? Over here, they're cheap. I bought a 4 year old Roadster for £5000 (~$9000). Show me another car of a similar age and the same class (two seat roadster) that can be bought for that little money! The ForTwo is pretty cheap for a base model too. I'd give you a price but the Smart website is too interested in looking cool to actually function or give me some information! I think they start at around £8000 (~$14400).

gone-ot 10-06-2009 09:56 AM

...I'd "test drive" one...but only until the first accident.

...then I probably wouldn't have to worry about it (or anything else thereafter).

...analogy: Hindenberg is to hydrogen as Smart is to too small.

NiHaoMike 10-06-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 132100)

...then I probably wouldn't have to worry about it (or anything else thereafter).

You could say the same about motorcycles...

andylaurence 10-06-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 132100)

Are you suggesting that the Smart ForTwo is a dangerous implementation of small? If so, you probably need to do some research. It's one of the safest cars in its class and is renowned for being so. If you mean it's small and is therefore unable to be safe, just remember that big does not equal safe. If you're just trying to belittle Smart drivers, I could say that Hindenberg is to safe flight as the Pontiac Vibe is to economy.....

gone-ot 10-06-2009 02:59 PM

...a "motorcycle" is merely a self-propelled "hood ornament" for cars!

...uh, can we recognize a "tongue-in-cheek" analogy when you read one? My opinion is it's WAY too small to provide adequate safety at OUR (USA) highway speeds should an accident occur. Obviously, in europe, with its lower speeds (but equally insane drivers!), this MASS vs. SPEED ratio would probably be sufficient to live with.

...and, yes, the Vibe is merely a "gasoline"-powered go-kart, assembled by laid-off americans in a Toyota factory, wearing a defunt PONTIAC badge, but at least it has (a) far more safety-restraint airbags and (b) better MPG than the '99 Malibu that we were driving!

...it's all relative.

andylaurence 10-07-2009 04:08 AM

Lower speeds in Europe? Here in the UK, the national speed limit is 70mph. In mainland Europe, national speed limits are normally 120kph (~75mph) or 130kph (~80mph). I believe you must be rather ill-informed or a troll. You realise the Smart has four airbags in its "unsafe" design, right?

cfg83 10-07-2009 04:25 AM

andylaurence -

Quote:

Originally Posted by andylaurence (Post 132329)
Lower speeds in Europe? Here in the UK, the national speed limit is 70mph. In mainland Europe, national speed limits are normally 120kph (~75mph) or 130kph (~80mph). I believe you must be rather ill-informed or a troll. You realise the Smart has four airbags in its "unsafe" design, right?

It's a pretty common perception in the USA, but the Smart seems to be selling well anyway. The argument here is that the overall larger/heavier makeup of the US auto fleet puts the Smart in a more "dangerous" F=MA environment. But I do think you will agree that the Smart was explicitly *over* engineered for safety to the point where the "exoskeleton" is part of the overt design ... by design, ;) .

I just wish they offered a real stickshift on this side of the pond, :mad: .

CarloSW2

andylaurence 10-07-2009 04:45 AM

You're right. Smart knew people would question the safety of such a small car, which is why they made it so safe and made the safety cell visible from outside. As for a manual gearbox, I don't think it needs one (the lack of clutch pedal was why I bought it) but I do think it'd be better off with a 5 speed gearbox than the 3*2 speed it has. The lower gears are too close ratio and the higher gears are too far apart. It all stems from the car using a 3 speed gearbox and a 2 speed final drive. Still, it just means an extra gear change, in reality.

gone-ot 10-07-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andylaurence (Post 132329)

...guilty! the last time I was in either Keflavik, Iceland; Prestwick or Ayr, Scotland; Weisbaden or Frankfurt, Germany; Bodo, Norway; or Paris, France (ugh!) was back in 1965...so, yes, my knowledge & experience are "dated."

...BTW the '09 Vibe/Matrix has front pillar, steering wheel & dash, and side-seat airbags...six in front alone.

...and, I test drove a Smart before we decided on the Vibe.

jamesqf 10-08-2009 01:58 PM

But why all this emphasis on hitting stuff?

alohaspirit 10-08-2009 02:17 PM

id honestly feel safer in a smart than my crx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lg3kg2QFgg