EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Would you guys repair a broken air-conditioning? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/would-you-guys-repair-broken-air-conditioning-39545.html)

Zunigrijje 07-05-2021 09:15 AM

Would you guys repair a broken air-conditioning?

So I have been into driving fuel efficient, ever since I got my first car: it kinda started as way, to earn back my repairs I done on the car. But on some point I decided to get the most fuel efficient car, on sale in the Netherlands.

A Suzuki Celerio: the official average of the manufacturer was 28KM/L and I have been hitting it occasionally, but my average is still 26KM/L. One way of saving fuel is keeping the airco of, but during summer with the airco running the fuel consumption would still hit 28KM/L when doing only highway.

So now it's broken, and the first thing I said: I ain't going have it fixed, but that was before the price comparison. I found a place to have it fixed, but the part is still not their... in the meantime the airco can't be used until August.

The climate in the Netherlands, is humid: we have some hot summer days, but the last couple of weeks it wasn't actually that hot. Considering the airco consumes extra fuel: would you guys fix it? Fixing it isn't free, so you going have to hypermile even more :o

M_a_t_t 07-05-2021 09:31 AM

Growing up none of my parents cars had a/c so not having a/c doesn't bother me. I use '455' a/c (4 windows down and going 55 mph :)) I wouldn't bother fixing it, but if you think you might sell it anytime soon I'd probably fix it because working a/c is probably a requirement for a buyer there.

California98Civic 07-05-2021 09:32 AM

So, I have done the work to repair AC myself twice now and also completely removed an AC system myself once. It depends on the car, the cost, and what you want it for. The ones I repaired were for my wife and for my daughter. The one I removed was in my car. I live in a mild and not very humid climate.

So ask yourself (1) what is AC for in your life and (2) is the cost worth that life benefit?

Do you have the space and ability to work on your own vehicle? Repairs are often a little simpler than people expect. In one case I just needed a resonably good recharging kit (about $40 USD). In the other case I needed to replace the blower motor (maybe $150 USD).

Zunigrijje 07-05-2021 09:38 AM

Obviously I'm going get it fixed, because of having a baby of 7 months old. For myself I would just drive without an airco, I'm totally fine with it. Only on hot summer days, I would miss it.

Oh you aren't allowed to fill up an airco with gas by yourself in the Netherlands: also the repair is something, which you shouldn't do by yourself. As any airco gas still within the system, can burn your hands.

California98Civic 07-05-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zunigrijje (Post 652010)
... also the repair is something, which you shouldn't do by yourself. As any airco gas still within the system, can burn your hands.

Well, I would and did. My hands are fine. They were also fine repairing electrical problems. They handle gasoline frequently. No burns or shocks yet. I always follow safety protocols. :)

Hersbird 07-05-2021 12:16 PM

I recharged my home A/C with propane. Works great. If I had a old car running r22 I would do it there as well. In the US technically you have to be certified to work on AC as well. That's impossible for them to enforce in a non commercial setting.

I totally get why someone wouldn't want to work on AC, but I'm not paying a tech to come out here and give me only the option of a $4000-$5000 total replacement when I bought the gauges and did it for $150.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-05-2021 07:01 PM

Not only I would repair the air conditioner, I would also consider repurposing its residual water to use it on a water injection system in order to improve fuel savings even when the A/C is on.

California98Civic 07-05-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 652022)
I recharged my home A/C with propane. Works great. If I had a old car running r22 I would do it there as well. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 652040)
Not only I would repair the air conditioner, I would also consider repurposing its residual water to use it on a water injection system in order to improve fuel savings even when the A/C is on.

Mad Max Ecomodders.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-06-2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 652047)
Mad Max Ecomodders

Charging A/C with propane may sound quite Mad Max, but a water injection would be more a MacGyver-ish mod :D

hayden55 07-06-2021 11:20 AM

After looking at your weather the only reason i would repair your air conditioner is to keep the window from fogging up in the rain. Google says you guys only have a high of 71F. Jealous :P
Although going to the lake in 71F would be miserable.