Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced UAW Mechanic

Toyota: W56 vs A340

Toyota's W56 manual has a 0.850:1 OD, while their A340 automatic has a 0.705:1 OD.
Is the better gearing of the automatic enough to offset the internal hydraulic pumping?
I'm trying to plan my next build. Plans include a dual-fuel Toyota 22R for propane over a DualJet, a 2.412:1 axle, a single-seat chassis with exposed suspension for less drag than an actual car, and goals of 70+ MPG with 1g cornering. Tires not chosen yet, still trying to source wheels.
Will be a leaf-sprung solid axle hung over the lower frame rails I'm still designing in a 3d computer modeling program. The axle and gears are already on hand.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
I used to work for Toyota as a technician, went through the T-TEN program. Personally, I would recommend that you go with the W56. The benefits of the simplicity and low maintenance of a manual transmission will far outweigh the minor difference in gearing. Add in the benefit of being able to control your vehicle more (as opposed to relying on the auto), in my book its no contest.

Go manual or go home.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced UAW Mechanic

Same advice with it being some 3-4 feet behind the driver? ( Directly behind the driver, with the driver not offset to either side )
I have considered ways of doing remote shifting, but the auto would solve that.
No luck so far with finding a more sensible 5th gear for the W56, either. I just can't see why it wasn't closer to 0.79:1, which would have made a lot more sense.

Reply  Post New Thread