EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   You’ll own nothing and be happy… (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/you-ll-own-nothing-happy-40398.html)

redneck 07-28-2022 10:30 PM

You’ll own nothing and be happy…

World Economic Forum calls to reduce private vehicles by eliminating 'ownership’…

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...ting-ownership

:rolleyes:

>

freebeard 07-29-2022 12:17 AM

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

redpoint5 07-29-2022 12:19 AM

Scott Adams talked about that a couple days ago, which prompts me to mention that his videos starting about a couple days ago have been a lot more interesting that usual.

His take was we wouldn't have cars because car ownership sucks, not that they will be taken from us. I mean, I don't own my own airplane, I rent one (seat). We use tons of things we don't own.

Don't know if what's his name has some stupid communist utopia delusion, or if he's just saying something pretty obvious; that when autonomous vehicles makes the cost of transportation nearly nothing, that we don't need to make the 2nd most expensive purchase anymore.

I'd rather not spend money on stupid cars. Would rather have a helicopter.

freebeard 07-29-2022 02:52 AM

He's coming aroud to my attitude about the next Mexican-American War. Remember 'the Halls of Montezuma'?

Piotrsko 07-29-2022 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 672108)

I'd rather not spend money on stupid cars. Would rather have a helicopter.

multirotor electric ultralight qualify? Coming soon to a rich neighborhood near you

freebeard 07-29-2022 11:59 AM

For decades I said I would drive VW Beetles until I could trade up to a UFO. Eventually, I settled for an XFi.

Closest thing to a UFO for road use is the Arcimoto FUV.

redpoint5 07-29-2022 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 672110)
He's coming aroud to my attitude about the next Mexican-American War. Remember 'the Halls of Montezuma'?

A certain gameshow host was not incorrect when he crassly stated the plainly obvious to anyone without severe brain damage; that some countries are better than others (or as he put it, some are much worse). Further, countries are defined by their area of authority, which means their rule of law applies to that geography, and it must be enforced.

Not to compare Mexican corruption with US, but while they've got catastrophic corruption with cartels, we've got very serious problems with corporatism.

If we handle our problems appropriately, it might force Mexico to contend with theirs too.

The only thing I know about the Halls of Montezuma is that it's in the Marine Corps anthem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 672119)
multirotor electric ultralight qualify? Coming soon to a rich neighborhood near you

Maybe. I still prefer helicopter due to the efficiency, and autorotation if the power source drops out. Still don't get why everyone is dinking around with tons of motors when one could just build an electric helicopter without having to reengineer everything.

Cost should come down once things are mass produced.

freebeard 07-29-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com › history › halls-montezuma-marines-at-chapultepec.html
The Halls of Montezuma: Marines at Chapultepec
They had marched to the shores of Tripoli; now they would march to the Halls of Montezuma. Daguerreotype of Polk attributed to Mathew Brady, 1849 Having encircled the Mexican Army from the north, west, and south, all that remained to secure victory was to take the capital, and bring the war to an end.
We occupied Mexico City over a dispute about the botder.

redpoint5 07-29-2022 07:15 PM

Well, don't give me credit for that.

freebeard 07-29-2022 07:20 PM

I wasn't there either. :)

Aerogel/graphene airships For The Win.

Piotrsko 07-31-2022 09:54 AM

Two advantages of small multirotor: less current needed per motor so powertrain is lighter overall. One of say 6 fails catastrophically, the crash may not be bad, and it would take a couple failures to drop like a rock because liftoff takes more power than cruise. Autorotate requires a clutch on each prop and a control system for the rotor pitch

The Toecutter 07-31-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 672122)
Closest thing to a UFO for road use is the Arcimoto FUV.

I think an Alfa Romeo Disco Volante Coupe is even closer. In Italian, its name translates to "Flying Saucer". It also had a 0.25 drag coefficient, in 1952. It weighed 1,653 lbs. Powered by a 156 horsepower 2.0L inline-4, it could top out at 140 mph(gearing limited, and same top speed as the less-slippery but 30 lbs lighter Disco Volante Spyder which shared the same gearing and engine), so for the time, the performance was "out of this world". And it also looks the part of a UFO, especially from the front.

Too bad no one made a kit car replica of the Disco Volante Coupe for sale to put VW TDI engines into... because that would be awesome. Imagine someone putting it together with a 4-cylinder 1.9L TDI engine from the early 2000s in one of those tuned to about 180 horsepower... You'd have a car that got 70+ mpg highway when driven slightly above the speed limit and with typical operator carelessness to fuel economy. With that amount of power on tap in such a light car with such good drag, it would be doing sub-5-second 0-60 times and with optimized gearing, topping out around 170 mph. And it would be such a delightful featherweight for going through the curves...

freebeard 07-31-2022 03:40 PM

Can't argue with something named Flying Saucer. :)

I saw one yesterday, driving West at sunset. Scattered Cirrocumulus clouds with 10-20% coverage, when one of them flared to 10-100X momentarily for no apparent reason.

A company called Relativity Aerospace is 3D printing rocket engines. A 3D printed aluminum car body would leapfrog over Tesla's Gigapresses and add the ability to make any arbitrary body shell for any arbitrary drive train.

The Toecutter 07-31-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 672187)
A 3D printed aluminum car body would leapfrog over Tesla's Gigapresses and add the ability to make any arbitrary body shell for any arbitrary drive train.

Someone could optimize the shape in a slippery, future-proof manner and just keep printing it for decades. The cars would become stupid cheap to fix and repair if parts were all over the place and readily available, and there'd be no need to keep changing out the chassis/body with each new vehicle model.

So many things that could go right with this.

freebeard 07-31-2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Mass customization
Mass customization, in marketing, manufacturing, call centres, and management, is the use of flexible computer-aided manufacturing systems to produce custom output. Such systems combine the low unit costs of mass production processes with the flexibility of individual customization. Wikipedia
There shall be classics, and myriad use cases. Sandy Munro says the Gigacastings can be repaired with TIG welding.

But if you don't own it you can't do this:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...256/1grem2.png
justacarguy.blogspot.com/2022/07/i-will-guess-youve-never-seen-this.html

redneck 07-31-2022 09:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23knm1ZGpQ

>

Isaac Zachary 07-31-2022 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 672194)
But if you don't own it you can't do this:

Or drive a stick shift.

Personally I wouldn't mind not owning a vehicle. But I would have the circumstances that would allow for it without it bing a big pain to get around.

On the other hand, a young neighbor lady was killed crossing in a crosswalk. She had the right-of-way (signal was in her favor). It seems anyone and everyone I know that tries to walk or ride their bike gets ran over and killed. That's either a reason to keep driving or to stop people from driving.

freebeard 08-01-2022 12:00 AM

The most dangerous thing I do on any given day is ride a bike through a 'contolled' intersection.

In 2015 a car owner/operator took out a whole family. on Main Street.

Quote:

https://kval.com › news › local › police-3-kids-crossing-main-street-in-crosswalk-hit-killed-by-car
Police: 3 kids crossing Main Street in crosswalk hit, killed by car - KVAL
DEVELOPING STORY: Watch #LiveOnKVAL for the latest. SPRINGFIELD, Ore. - A car hit and killed three children ages 4 to 8 as they crossed Main Street with their mother using crosswalk Sunday evening ...
I think the solution is a cager tadpole.

redpoint5 08-01-2022 12:25 AM

Most of the solution is not being part of the unlucky minority of people taken out by a cager.

AI will go a long way to reducing that tragic minority part.

Saw lots of tragic aftermath on my short commutes to work around midnight. Saw a motorcyclist that didn't navigate an offramp well, and I assume met the guardrail posts.

Saw an overturned pickup on the inside of a near 360 offramp / onramp (cloverleaf I guess you'd call it, except it's just 1 leaf). Fortunately nobody inside by the time I ran out into the field and looked.

Saw the road closure and boots left behind of a girl struck while trick or treating.

Maybe AI will allow humanity to fear the night a little less.

freebeard 08-01-2022 12:50 AM

I want an FUV with an anti-intrusion bar on the left side. That's the side you get T-boned from.

I will need to own it so I can attach a Deco-pod style aluminum boat tail to it.

Is leasing owning nothing? Maybe we're half-way there already?

redpoint5 08-01-2022 01:08 AM

Adopt a motorcyclist (bicyclist) mindset and T-bones become mostly avoidable. Only clods enter intersections without glancing both ways first, even if the light is telling you to go. Only way I'd get hit is an obstructed view and massive misfortune.

We're going to die of heart-disease or cancer like most everyone else. Our risk perception is always misaligned, and usually severely so. We make boogeymen out of anthills, and anthills out of hades.

Out of context, but handily available to me, I'm linking a portion of a recent SA episode I found interesting. Starts at about the hour mark. He's getting "edgier". His persuasion tactics inch the line such that one doesn't realize where they started, and where they ended up. I mean that from the perspective of having watched for years vs a single episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXif7aZYrQc&t=60m44s

freebeard 08-01-2022 01:24 AM

Is that before or after youtu.be/HXif7aZYrQc?t=3600

edit: First point he makes is Republicans = parents and Democrats = women. I thought that was insightful at the time.

redpoint5 08-01-2022 01:47 AM

Right about there...

The Hunter / Gatherer analogy was interesting to me. I knew there was a difference in average temperament between women and men that manifests both behaviorally and politically, but never put both together, even if crudely.

It's those types of things that get squirreled away in my mind and make other connections which end up revealing expanded understanding of reality in a profound way. Almost always it results in humility and empathy.

Best not to rage against creation, but to align with what it's telling us. The trick is knowing when the oddball is what nature is hinting at, or if convention is called for.

rmay635703 08-01-2022 09:21 AM

The folks you are discussing own nothing and be happy seem to be the same folks that are worried about population collapse, go figure

Likely relates to the forced birth movement going on, best guess wealthy fear lack of warm bodies to make profit

Isaac Zachary 08-01-2022 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 672211)
Adopt a motorcyclist (bicyclist) mindset and T-bones become mostly avoidable. Only clods enter intersections without glancing both ways first, even if the light is telling you to go. Only way I'd get hit is an obstructed view and massive misfortune.

T-bones, perhaps. But most of the accidents I've seen weren't t-bones. This last one, which was just a couple blocks from here, the car came up on the light after the pedestrian was in the crosswalk heading the same direction. The car turned left and ran over the pedestrian that was almost out of the crosswalk.

In another one, not that long ago, a bicyclist was going straight on the shoulder. A pickup driver with a long flat bed trailer who was in a hurry flew up beside him and turned right, running over the bicyclist with the trailer.

Just last week at the local Walmart parking lot my wife and a guy in a wheelchair almost got ran over right in front of my eyes by a guy in a massive Ford Superduty pickup with a welded metal custom bumper flying through there at a ridiculous speed.

Being cautious helps, yes, but the number of SUV and pickup owners that think they own the road and are probably drunk or on marijuana just keeps rising.

freebeard 08-01-2022 11:16 AM

I ask again: Is leasing owning nothing? Maybe we're half-way there already?

redpoint5 08-01-2022 11:37 AM

It does annoy me that the size of vehicle tends to influence behavior. Nobody cuts me off when I'd driving my truck, and they'll even wait an unreasonable amount of time to let me pass. I could see truck drivers becoming used to driving like they own the road simply because that's how drivers react.

I consider leasing to be similar to renting in that equity does not accrue.

Isaac Zachary 08-01-2022 03:52 PM

I've always thought of the word Leasing meaning the same as Renting.

Maybe people should have to pass commercial driving style classes depending on the height of their vehicle.

Not that long ago the first page of the IIHS website had an article of how SUV's are killing a lot more pedestrians and that nothing is being done to stop that trend.

Maybe crossover mirrors and backup cameras should be mandatory on CUV's, SUV's and pickups.

Piotrsko 08-02-2022 09:33 AM

A lease is a rental agreement for fixed terms and time, although time is a fixed term. They detail responsibilities and penalties, although typically greater on the leasee's side. Fit of purpose is generally assumed, however all conditions in a lease are negotiable.

SUV'$ tend to be heavier, bigger and flatter on the front so an object can't deflect and reduce damage. Newer vehicles have a mandate to deflect people in accidents thereby reducing injury.

Isaac Zachary 08-02-2022 04:07 PM

Vision is another thing on SUV's and pickups. Sitting in my sedan I can see my flat bed trailer right in front of me. In my brother's pickup you have to be a ways back. No wonder a pickup driver ran over the rear of my trailer at Home Depot.

When I was driving school bus one driver came back from his route and said a girl got off and he didn't see where she went. Looking in his crossover mirrors he saw her leaning up on the front bumper. If a little girl leans on the front bumper of a typical sedan she'll be easier to see than if she does that to an SUV or pickup. Of course it doesn't have to be a girl leaning up on the grill or bumper, even a ways out a small person can be hard or impossible to see. You can still have a small enough person close enough or low enough in front of a sedan to not see him but he'd have to be smaller or closer or lower than with an SUV or pickup.

redpoint5 08-02-2022 04:49 PM

DMV rule book says the driver has to walk around the vehicle prior to reversing.

While I tend away from government regulation, requiring backup cameras is something I support. Small additional cost for such a useful safety device considering all vehicles already come with screens these days.

I added a backup camera to my 2006 TSX for like $12. It already had the screen, and it had the composite input on the NAV system.

Piotrsko 08-03-2022 10:53 AM

Way bad juju to run over kids in a schoolbus. Mine had bilndspot mirrors all over, and you never backed up after you dropped kids, pretty much only went forward and our rules were get out and look before backing even empty.

redpoint5 08-03-2022 11:46 AM

School buses should all get surround view cameras.

Cameras are so cheap these days that there's no excuse not to have them. If they were included during the manufacturing phase, I bet it adds $100 to the cost of the quarter million dollar vehicle.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1xuhfK..._Q90.jpg_.webp

freebeard 08-03-2022 03:06 PM

My son's Siverado even has yellow stripes that predict the path based on the steering angle.

Isaac Zachary 08-03-2022 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 672331)
Way bad juju to run over kids in a schoolbus. Mine had bilndspot mirrors all over, and you never backed up after you dropped kids, pretty much only went forward and our rules were get out and look before backing even empty.

He didn't run her over. Just that without the curved mirrors on the front (cross-over or half-moon mirrors) he wouldn't have seen her. Of course realizing that he didn't see where she had gone also was a clue. He didn't move the bus but left it parked, turned it off, took the keys out and went out and asked her why she was leaning on the bumper. Her answer was "I got tired."

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 672332)
School buses should all get surround view cameras.

Cameras are so cheap these days that there's no excuse not to have them. If they were included during the manufacturing phase, I bet it adds $100 to the cost of the quarter million dollar vehicle.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1xuhfK..._Q90.jpg_.webp

I've used a surround view camera system on the Nissan Leaf we had. Pretty neat.

For school buses or SUV's and pickups, I'm not so sure. The screen would have to be up where you don't have to take your eyes off the road. The curved mirrors on the front of a school bus are in a good spot to see those kinds of things.

http://www.ncbussafety.org/Archives/...e/image007.jpg

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-04-2022 01:10 AM

I am quite conservative, and was already displeased by all the pandering to some identitarian issues from mainstream companies, not only automakers, as those issues are raised basically as a "politically correct" segregation. And segregation is a key to control larger groups, who would become less prone to figure out what's really going on while fighting each other for nothing actually worth fighting :turtle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 672223)
In another one, not that long ago, a bicyclist was going straight on the shoulder. A pickup driver with a long flat bed trailer who was in a hurry flew up beside him and turned right, running over the bicyclist with the trailer.

Most of the times I see things heating up between a driver and some bicyclist, it's clearly the bicyclist's fault. Bicyclists here tend to embrace a more political stance on bicycles and become quite aggressive, even worse while riding in large groups.

Quote:

Being cautious helps, yes, but the number of SUV and pickup owners that think they own the road and are probably drunk or on marijuana just keeps rising.
Had the bureaucracy not favored trucks and SUVs over "normal" cars so much there, you should expect those very same intoxicated drivers to act the same way even if they were riding a Honda CG 125 with a sidecar.

Piotrsko 08-04-2022 09:11 AM

Cameras are really nice, but they werent available back when. Kudos to the driver for doing the correct thing: parking bus, getting out of the seat and have a look see.

I would like to believe people are just plain arrogant stoopid anymore other than messed up while driving. Case in point: we had road construction for the last 3 weeks so they closed my street, cones, signs and barricades. Every day I see the same idiots attempt to shortcut down my street until they encounter the paver machine and have to turn around. Funny thing: lady down the street with a full blown off road vehicle just says "Nope" and uses the detour.

Volermo 08-04-2022 10:10 AM

I find it difficult to post on here.I have a 2001 Honda Insight with a CVT transmission with about185K.At present it has three red warning lights on.IMA light is on.The battery was replaced by a Honda dealer in Cleveland Oh. After failure of the battery it had which was a new replacement battery.I bought the car from the original owner.I had it shipped to Gainesville Fl. Where I now live.It also has a check engine light on.I recently had new NKG spark plugs put in.I had to replace the fuel line because it had rotted and was leaking gas.I also had brakes replaced except for thr right rear wheel,because the mechanic said something was frozen and he could not get it loose.I ordered and paid for the replacement gas line. ipuchased the NKG spark plugs.I also provided the new oil and filter.The garage charged me $1800 dollars.A little steep.I also had the CVT transmission fld.changed.I am afraid to take the car to the local Honda dealer,but I may have to for diagnosis.If anyone on this sight has an Insight and could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Volermo 08-04-2022 10:16 AM

Honda Insight problems

Anyone have a 2000 to 2006 Honda Insight.Mine has IMA warning light on and check engine light on.If anyone hear is familiar with this car I would appreciate any advice.Oh,the IMA battery was replaced shortly before I got the car.Auto stop is not working.Car is only getting 36.5mpg.

freebeard 08-04-2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

I find it difficult to post on here.
Yet you posted twice in six minutes.

This thread is in The Lounge. Not everyone reads every new post. Another subforum like Ecomodding Central or Hybrids may be more fruitful.