View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #302 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Yes, everything works remarkably well still. I could not be happier. During my initial troubles with the battery set up, a few years ago now I guess, the most important features of the set up that I did not predict/understand about the switch to an onboard charger and deep cycle battery were the affect of heat on the battery itself and the importance of sufficient amperage. Eventually, Odyssey generously worked out a deal with me, and I got a battery with the metal sheathing to protect against heat separation of the plates. Second, I got the 25 amp charger to desulfinate the battery. They charged me for some of it, but at a discount, IIRC.

The charger is a three stage 25 amp unit, and it still works perfectly. The battery is in fab shape. But I have a practice of not allowing it to discharge all that low.

Bummer they don't sell the charger anymore. There must be others that can do the same task. My sense is that the most important consideration is a charger that had amp output at least 40% of the battery ahr rating and the three stage ability. Mine is more like 60% the ahr rating.

I don't recall anymore what I tested with the multimeter, sorry. But you are right that I was checking with the multimeter a lot, especially when I was trying to understand what was failing (before the current set-up).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.