Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 121.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
Congrats to you. Be happy with your results, reagrdless what did it.
Thanks

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Run a few tanks with the holes - being as consistent as possible, don't do any testing or jackrabbit starting, just drive, if possible, like a robot every day - and then drive a few more tanks with the holes closed up. Tape them from the inside, of course - it looks to me like your finish on the back is pretty good, and taping it over from the outside will just look awful. Plus taping from the inside, pressure will tend to force the tape on, instead of off.

Then fab up a quick-and-dirty pan to cover the back end and smooth things out approaching the rear bumper. Get a few tanks in that way.

I'm curious to see how the different approaches shake out against each other. I don't think it's the best approach but I'll give you this: it looks well done.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
compdrag (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Run a few tanks with the holes - being as consistent as possible, don't do any testing or jackrabbit starting, just drive, if possible, like a robot every day - and then drive a few more tanks with the holes closed up. Tape them from the inside, of course - it looks to me like your finish on the back is pretty good, and taping it over from the outside will just look awful. Plus taping from the inside, pressure will tend to force the tape on, instead of off.

Then fab up a quick-and-dirty pan to cover the back end and smooth things out approaching the rear bumper. Get a few tanks in that way.

I'm curious to see how the different approaches shake out against each other. I don't think it's the best approach but I'll give you this: it looks well done.
I know that without the holes I get 28 MPG driving like a robot. I haven't changed the way I have been driving since the holes and that first tank got me a little better numbers. I just hope this next tank does the same. Only thing is I keep doing stuff, and that doesn't help my defense any lol. Thanks again
Old 10-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
SAE Paper

I found what I was thinking of,from a 1986 SAE book on recent progress in fuel economy.
The paper is from Subaru's R&D of the Cd 0.29 Subaru XT.The particular citation is on page 20 of the book,with Fig. 19- Influence of flat-bottom.
The image shows three different under body configurations.
*The lowest drag is for that of a sub-trunk which fills the void between the gas tank and the rear bumper,with the bottom of the bumper even with floor of the trunk.
*The second lowest drag is for that of the same configuration,excepting that the bottom of the bumper has been raised above the elevation of the sub-trunk floor.This additional void is all turbulence,and adds 2% to the drag.
*The worst-case scenario is with an even higher bumper bottom,and removal of the sub-trunk,which adds 12% to the drag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
When air loses a surface to flow over,it immediately turns into the void,triggering turbulence.The sub-trunk prevents the deflection and helps shape the flow smoother.
With the XT,the concept is further promoted by including the bottom of the bumper as a means to shape the flow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dead air pools inside the perimeter of the bumper,with the active flow passing underneath,just as air flowing over a pool of water.
By cutting holes in the 'dam' your inviting flow separation,turbulence,and higher drag.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like you can't change the drag more than 2%,so the most your fuel economy could change is around 1% which I submit to you,cannot be measured outside of a wind tunnel.Your car,with zero modifications will have a seasonal mpg variability of 12% anyway.Any minute change,as with the holes,will be lost in the signal-to-noise ratio.
I have the graphic with me and hope to get it scanned before the store closes.
Here we go

Last edited by aerohead; 10-08-2016 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: add image
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (10-08-2016), Daox (10-17-2016), freebeard (10-08-2016), Xist (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 04:12 AM   #35 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Does anyone remember the member who asked about opening the sunroof and back window on his SUV and having the air flow through the cabin. Like Ecky said, we close our grills because airflow is dirty inside the car. Also, Aerohead telling me I created an aerodynamic problem with my grill block by now bell-mouthing my vent.

So, if you are to do this properly and expect positive results, create a system: Do a proper belly pan with NACA ducts leading to the bumper openings, presenting a smooth surface for air the entire way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Does anyone remember the member who asked about opening the sunroof and back window on his SUV and having the air flow through the cabin. Like Ecky said, we close our grills because airflow is dirty inside the car. Also, Aerohead telling me I created an aerodynamic problem with my grill block by now bell-mouthing my vent.

So, if you are to do this properly and expect positive results, create a system: Do a proper belly pan with NACA ducts leading to the bumper openings, presenting a smooth surface for air the entire way.
*If you open the sunroof and backlight simultaneously,the air will flow from the back of the car forward to the sunroof opening,bringing exhaust gas with it.
*As to the grille,A shallow,hard-edged opening will only pass 61% of the airflow.A deep,sharp-edged opening will pass only 86% of the flow.With a bell-mouthed opening,she'll flow 98%.This is why I chose the 'turbine inlet' trash can lid for the grille opening on Spirit.
BamZipPow (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Ok well I went through another tank, and with the temperature getting colder and my 1 mile drives to work, and not being able to get operating temperature I still got above what I had been getting. I came in at 30.3 MPG, tomorrow I'm doing 160 miles to do my swim test and then 160 back so I will get really good highway numbers. Before the holes, and doing a 800 mile trip to Montana these best was 32mpg. I am out to blow that out of the water.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
There's something to it. I've been running a coroplast rear bellypan on Slambo to alleviate the parachute effect for a while now. If nothing else, it's quieter at speed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MPGomatic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-22-2016), Fingie (10-18-2016), kurzer (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #39 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Right, I imagine this helps fill the low pressure zone in the wake, but it probably also does it in a very turbulent manner. A kamm or boat tail + belly pan would be ideal, but there are plenty of situationally effective less than ideal solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I found what I was thinking of,from a 1986 SAE book on recent progress in fuel economy.
The paper is from Subaru's R&D of the Cd 0.29 Subaru XT.The particular citation is on page 20 of the book,with Fig. 19- Influence of flat-bottom.
The image shows three different under body configurations.
*The lowest drag is for that of a sub-trunk which fills the void between the gas tank and the rear bumper,with the bottom of the bumper even with floor of the trunk.
*The second lowest drag is for that of the same configuration,excepting that the bottom of the bumper has been raised above the elevation of the sub-trunk floor.This additional void is all turbulence,and adds 2% to the drag.
*The worst-case scenario is with an even higher bumper bottom,and removal of the sub-trunk,which adds 12% to the drag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
When air loses a surface to flow over,it immediately turns into the void,triggering turbulence.The sub-trunk prevents the deflection and helps shape the flow smoother.
With the XT,the concept is further promoted by including the bottom of the bumper as a means to shape the flow.
Dead air pools inside the perimeter of the bumper,with the active flow passing underneath,just as air flowing over a pool of water.
By cutting holes in the 'dam' your inviting flow separation,turbulence,and higher drag.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like you can't change the drag more than 2%,so the most your fuel economy could change is around 1% which I submit to you,cannot be measured outside of a wind tunnel.Your car,with zero modifications will have a seasonal mpg variability of 12% anyway.Any minute change,as with the holes,will be lost in the signal-to-noise ratio.
I have the graphic with me and hope to get it scanned before the store closes.
Here we go
I found myself thinking about this the other day, and I'm not sure that the conclusion that airflow through the holes would help fill the wake is correct. The Subaru figures indicate a low-pressure area behind the spare tire well which causes turbulence. If holes are added in the bumper, for the air to begin flowing it would need to be higher pressure than the low-pressure wake behind the bumper. Do we know this is the case? Seems to me the first thing to do here would be run a manometer to in front of a stock bumper cover and behind it and see what the pressure differential is, if there is one, and thus if air would actually flow into the car's wake or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-22-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maxima - '02 Nissan Maxima GLE
great thread ! loved reading

Reply  Post New Thread