Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
redpoint5 - here is solar insolation info by states (from NREL): Solar Radiation Data Manual for Flat-Plate and Concentrating Collectors

The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-18-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That technology has been around for quite awhile-but I like the fact that this individual had the capital to make it a business.

I built one similar to that unit two years ago(soup cans as I don't drink soda, plywood box with a reclaimed window for the face, wrapped PVC pipe through a SIP window block and a leather 'hinge' for a one-way valve) and I have never regretted the $5 worth of high-temp gasket sealer nor the $10 block of SIP...paid for itself in savings in one month. In the summer, I run the heat feed into an all-purpose curing/dehydrating cabinet, and cure wood for walking sticks or make jerky-works a treat on bamboo fishing poles too!

Frankly,it astounds me that A) there is enough of a demand now that this innovator was able to start a business building these units, and B) that the people wise enough to buy these units aren't wise enough to manufacture their own for the cost of spare parts and elbow grease...the manufacture of Solar Thermal isn't exactly a Trade Secret, after all...
Old 12-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...true, but there are SOME people (who shall remain nameless) who don't know a hammer from a shoe heel, or a screwdriver from a butter knife, and have been known to donate more blood than an Ice-Hockey Player just while fumbling with the instructions (wink,wink)!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...true, but there are SOME people (who shall remain nameless) who don't know a hammer from a shoe heel, or a screwdriver from a butter knife, and have been known to donate more blood than an Ice-Hockey Player just while fumbling with the instructions (wink,wink)!

I happen to resemble all of the above...and I built one. Also, paint fills in a lot of heel marks, butter knife scratches and bloodstains!

I suppose some people still think that Labor=Money=Labor=Product (make money to pay someone to build it) makes more sense to some than Labor=Product (build one). I guess that's Economics for you-mind you, I wish the gentleman in that video all the best at filling that niche.
The Following User Says Thank You to order99 For This Useful Post:
darcane (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
He never once mentions the "co$t" of the fan used to circulate (blow) the air through all those cans, nor the size/cfm-capacity needed of that fan.
2:32
"it's pulled oot of yer house at aboot a hundred cubic feet per minute"

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Reply  Post New Thread