Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Question 2014 Corolla OEM under belly pans

I have done a few of the under pan upgrades to my 2009 Corolla (all the front ones) as shown on this diagram of pans put in place for the 2014 Corolla: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...8_2524_low.jpg

I am trying to figure this one out from the 2014 Corolla: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...1_2524_low.jpg

I know the rear bumper plastic skin on the 2014 Corolla is of more flimsy nature than on the 2009, but I can't figure out what is going on here. You have parts bracing the rear bumper skin, but then not really having enough coverage to bridge the gap between the spare wheel well and the bumper (3" gap) as the semi circle cutout is there so the jack can access the rear jack point.

Then you have 4 boat tail like parts out on a mostly flat piece already. From what I gather to straighten flow.

Then the whole part itself actually is lower than the spare tire well by 2 inches or more. I get this one. I believe that this part is so that flow can be assisted as it leaves the car.

Would my car benefit from something like this? Do I need the 4 boat tails and how much drag would this be reducing to be worth doing?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
The 4 "boat tails" are fins, the same as on the 3rd gen Prius. In that application, Toyota claimed in their press release that they help directional stability. You're probably fine without them.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
My cousin bought a new 2014 Corolla recently, and I noticed that the rear wheel spat thingy (the thing that goes ahead of the tire to block the air) had a gaping hole right above it! It looked like it was channeling air towards the brakes. Not sure why a Corolla would need rear brake cooling...
Old 05-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
My cousin bought a new 2014 Corolla recently, and I noticed that the rear wheel spat thingy (the thing that goes ahead of the tire to block the air) had a gaping hole right above it! It looked like it was channeling air towards the brakes. Not sure why a Corolla would need rear brake cooling...
Is there anything similar for the front brakes? Don't those receive a majority of the braking force? I ask this because I have gone over the handlebars of my bike...
Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
If you're fully-loaded,in the summer, and descending a long,steep mountain downgrade pass,as from Leadville,Colorado,you want everything going in your favor.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Is there anything similar for the front brakes? Don't those receive a majority of the braking force? I ask this because I have gone over the handlebars of my bike...
Let me take a look right now...The front indeed does have a hole too! Except here the fender is completely closed off, and it's a hole in the wheel spat itself. However the location of the hole is conveniently in a place where it allows air to hit the brakes too.

I went and groped some other cars too and found nothing of the sort. I'm almost waiting for some kind of press statement about the 2014 Corolla's track readiness lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're fully-loaded,in the summer, and descending a long,steep mountain downgrade pass,as from Leadville,Colorado,you want everything going in your favor.
I suppose the Corolla doesn't come in manual transmission anymore so this might be a necessary feature. But that said, I looked at a parked Porsche and it doesn't have said rear brake cooling channel, despite having a lot of weight over the rear, and being designed to be nearly track ready from the factory.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The size of the Porsche brakes is probably several times bigger than a corolla, probably a much larger ventilation space between the two faces.... possibly different material... very different systems in a Porsche and Corolla
Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt36415 View Post
The size of the Porsche brakes is probably several times bigger than a corolla, probably a much larger ventilation space between the two faces.... possibly different material... very different systems in a Porsche and Corolla
The stock brake rotors are actually not that big, I would guess 12-13" diameter at most. The ventilation space is a touch bigger than the brakes on my MR2, which are just as wimpy as Corolla brakes. The material is definitely not different, all cars use either cast iron or carbon ceramic.

The reason I'm surprised is because brake cooling ducts are extremely useful on track cars, but I've never seen them from the factory on a car that isn't something like a 911 GT3. Including all the Cayman and 911 models right now, minus the GT3. In fact the Nissan 350/370Z were famous for extreme brake fade despite bigish rotors that led to lots of crashes, and adding a cooling duct solved that problem.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
I doubt its for brake cooling.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
I doubt its for brake cooling.
What do you think it's for then?..

Reply  Post New Thread