Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2024, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecomodding Lurker King

EG boi - '94 Honda Civic VX

Spooly boi - '06 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 MR

Drifty boi - '89 Nissan 240sx S13
D16y5 swapped EG vx

Hey guys! I plan on "retiring" my EG hatch from racing and get it back to fuel sipping. So I'm getting rid of the LSVTEC setup as they call it and swap a d16y5 with matching trans on the car.

Basic rundown on what will be done
-d16y5 refresh (gaskets and timing belt etc)
-d16y5 and trans swap
-lightened flywheel
-retain b-series mounts
-plug in Rywire tuck harness (obd1)
-run Federal VX ECU
-Maybe try to get a tune with my other hondata chipped ecu?
-run mpguino I had tucked for years
-aero and weight reduction mods

Feel free to chime in what other things I can do to hit good mpg numbers. Only thing is I plan on making it still look good while getting good mpg numbers like these guys.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240109_004128767.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	34568   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231005_211859758.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	34569   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240125_011637658.MP.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	34570   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240303_202659204.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	34571  

Last edited by mpEg_build; 03-15-2024 at 09:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mpEg_build For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-08-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2024, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
I imagine the engine will run on the VX ECU, but likely not well, because fueling values will be off by ~7%. When it goes lean, it will be 7% leaner, and may miss or even stall whenever lean burn tries to kick in. One way to compensate might be to increase fuel pressure proportionately, or to have the injectors modified.

If you try to use the chipped ECU, you're likely going to have issues getting a good lean burn tune. For one, I don't believe it can read the VX O2 sensor, and the widebands a chipped ECU can use go out of range around ~18:1. VX lean burn is more in the 22-24:1 range. Additionally, the lean burn ECUs use an entirely different table set for lean burn, which is useful because they don't' have to deal with transition zones in the tables, and you can't do this on a chipped ECU. The main headache is ignition timing - if you're running ~24:1 AFR at part throttle, you need something like an additional 20 degrees of ignition timing. The stock ECU will hold lean burn out to ~90% load, but if you put your transition just before WOT, you'll need some clever way to pull timing before it starts pulling fuel, else you'll get crazy amounts of knock. Also, good luck finding a tuner willing to spend a dozen hours on a brake dyno mapping out part throttle ignition timing values.

My thoughts are, either run the chipped ECU, and accept that it won't really lean burn (maybe mildly, but you'll be giving up 3-6mpg) or run the VX ECU and mechanically compensate for the fuel differences.

Biggest thing for aero will be tucking the wheels back into the wells - you'll get a lot more aero drag with dished wheels that stick out anywhere near the fender. I'd take a wild guess and say this could be worth another 3-4mpg. If you can get a set of Insight wheels, they fit, they're light (~11lbs) and they're extremely aero.

Last edited by Ecky; 03-08-2024 at 03:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
mpEg_build (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ecomodding Lurker King

EG boi - '94 Honda Civic VX

Spooly boi - '06 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 MR

Drifty boi - '89 Nissan 240sx S13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I imagine the engine will run on the VX ECU, but likely not well, because fueling values will be off by ~7%. When it goes lean, it will be 7% leaner, and may miss or even stall whenever lean burn tries to kick in. One way to compensate might be to increase fuel pressure proportionately, or to have the injectors modified.

If you try to use the chipped ECU, you're likely going to have issues getting a good lean burn tune. For one, I don't believe it can read the VX O2 sensor, and the widebands a chipped ECU can use go out of range around ~18:1. VX lean burn is more in the 22-24:1 range. Additionally, the lean burn ECUs use an entirely different table set for lean burn, which is useful because they don't' have to deal with transition zones in the tables, and you can't do this on a chipped ECU. The main headache is ignition timing - if you're running ~24:1 AFR at part throttle, you need something like an additional 20 degrees of ignition timing. The stock ECU will hold lean burn out to ~90% load, but if you put your transition just before WOT, you'll need some clever way to pull timing before it starts pulling fuel, else you'll get crazy amounts of knock. Also, good luck finding a tuner willing to spend a dozen hours on a brake dyno mapping out part throttle ignition timing values.

My thoughts are, either run the chipped ECU, and accept that it won't really lean burn (maybe mildly, but you'll be giving up 3-6mpg) or run the VX ECU and mechanically compensate for the fuel differences.

Biggest thing for aero will be tucking the wheels back into the wells - you'll get a lot more aero drag with dished wheels that stick out anywhere near the fender. I'd take a wild guess and say this could be worth another 3-4mpg. If you can get a set of Insight wheels, they fit, they're light (~11lbs) and they're extremely aero.
Hey Ecky! Appreciate your input! Yea I was thinking of modifying my rail and FPR to compensate for the ecu.

Yup! There is no way to have the lean burn feature on a Hondata s300 setup. I would need to get a standalone ecu which is a no no to me since i'm not trying to break the bank on this build haha.

For the aero i don't think I can sacrifice my fitment for mpg hahahhaha! But I'm gonna run those mooneyes aero covers. I'll be also fabricating an underbelly pan for the car too so hopefully it'll cancel out lol.