Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Accord V6 Lower Grill Block

I blocked the lower grill on the 2000 Accord (V6 automatic) and finally got to make my run to see if there was any effect. Results are from ScanGageII readings over my normal run: two miles with five stops (4 signs, 1 light); 12 miles of highway; one mile with four stops (3 signs, 1 light). Before the block I would get reading from 27.2 to 28.6 mpg depending on whatever. This trip resulted in 33.6 mpg going and 32.4 returning for the average of 33.0 mpg at 60 mph on the highway. Can't say this is totally scientific (seems too high to be real), but the numbers are there. EPA for the Accord on highway is 28 mpg, but it has 250k+ miles on it.

I drive using TPS on ScanGageII and, yes, the TPS was one to two numbers less than before (17 vs 19).

I will have to wait to see what the tank will deliver this time.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Nice work, it looks like your off to a great start!!!

Have any pics???

Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
I blocked the lower grill on the 2000 Accord (V6 automatic) and finally got to make my run to see if there was any effect. Results are from ScanGageII readings over my normal run: two miles with five stops (4 signs, 1 light); 12 miles of highway; one mile with four stops (3 signs, 1 light). Before the block I would get reading from 27.2 to 28.6 mpg depending on whatever. This trip resulted in 33.6 mpg going and 32.4 returning for the average of 33.0 mpg at 60 mph on the highway. Can't say this is totally scientific (seems too high to be real), but the numbers are there. EPA for the Accord on highway is 28 mpg, but it has 250k+ miles on it.

I drive using TPS on ScanGageII and, yes, the TPS was one to two numbers less than before (17 vs 19).

I will have to wait to see what the tank will deliver this time.
If your drive with the block was twelve miles, driving the same route without it should be a fairly good comparison, although ideally, you would have done this first, and again afterward. 33 MPG is 15% higher than 28.6, the higher of your numbers. I do not think that I have ever seen one single modification with results that large.

Please do not take this as ordinary criticism, just the constructive type. For the record, I have been on this site for a year and my car does not have a single modification!

Some do, the rest criticize.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=Xist;390637]33 MPG is 15% higher than 28.6, the higher of your numbers. I do not think that I have ever seen one single modification with results that large.

Please do not take this as ordinary criticism, just the constructive type. For the record, I have been on this site for a year and my car does not have a single modification!

QUOTE]
That's why I don't believe the results. I'll check again several times to get better data. The block is highly taped on and won't be easy to remove, so it won't be removed. I'll live with it.

I take all criticism for helpful hints. Thanks! I'm still trying to "engineer" an air dam for the truck. That will make a big difference because of the tow bar in front and total lack of under body cover. Also, it's a 4WD and sits very high. Custom air dams and skirts are too expensive, so I'm going the lawn edging route. Can't find suitable brackets to hold the edging at our local stores. Might have to cut some sheet metal/straping to get what I need.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
these results may have been faulty as there are many variables that could have helped with your gains. temperature, your own driving technique has improved, list goes on. I use tank to tank to compare or set cruise on a specific speed/stretch of road and let my UG tell a difference.
I'm sure you will see an increase in mpg either way as long as the fans do not kick on from overheating on longer drives

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
these results may have been faulty as there are many variables that could have helped with your gains. temperature, your own driving technique has improved, list goes on. I use tank to tank to compare or set cruise on a specific speed/stretch of road and let my UG tell a difference.
I'm sure you will see an increase in mpg either way as long as the fans do not kick on from overheating on longer drives
If you did that same route all the time, it may be more use to you. For strictly analyzing it, I would do at least ABA testing at something set, and simple. Find two easy signs and drive one way, get the mpg. Drive the same distance, find that. Add the two, then divide by two, and you have A. Put the block on, redo. Take the block off, redo. Block on, redo. Block off, redo.

It's ABABA, but it will give you a very good idea, especially if you can keep all other things constant (speed, general temperatures, traffic, so on). The reason I stopped doing testing was because I know it's working, and it wastes so much fuel to test lol (hurts my MPG, also, to get up to higher speeds over and over).

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
The reason I stopped doing testing was because I know it's working, and it wastes so much fuel to test lol (hurts my MPG, also, to get up to higher speeds over and over).
I do not do modifications because I am lazy. I just claim that I am too busy wish schoolwork.

Oh right. Be back later.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Second run today. 30.6 mpg going and 32.0 mpg return for an average of 31.3. Guess I had a tail wind both ways on the first run. Still, this is better than before the grill block. 28.6 to 30.6 is an 7.0% increase. TPS remained at 17 on ScanGageII. The grill block stays. Still don't have numbers for the truck because it is driven by my wife almost exclusively. Don't have a baseline for it, but really need an air dam for the front.

Reply  Post New Thread