Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

none - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Smile Adjusting the Nut behind the CR-V Wheel

I've learned quite a bit from driving the vehicle since it was new. In the beginning I had an interest in what was a newly designed engine; I was all excited to have VTEC power! But in reality, I had bought an economy VTEC engine. Oh well, I'm no Speed Racer and it turned out to be a blessing anyway.

For anyone out there trying to figure out how the K-series engine works;
VTEC kicks in at 2200rpm and opens the second intake valve. Under 2200, and only one intake valve is in operation. I have already tried to disable VTEC by removing the plug connected to the VTEC solenoid. It immediately throws a code when you go over 2200rpm

VTC (variable cam timing) on the intake valves is always operating depending upon several factors and probably something I'm not going to mess with.

The "boost" everyone feels around 4500rpm is usually mistaken for VTEC. It's actually the switchover point between the long intake and the short intake. Why would I ever get to 4500rpm...

Those features apply to 02+ CR-Vs, Element, RSX base model, and the 03 Civic SI hatchback. Maybe there are others?

So the big secret to get good mpg's in the CR-V? Not a secret at all; Driving slow on the highway

My trip was a little over an hour each way heading to and from Wachusett Mountain. I hit 30 on the way up to Wachusett, but no pic. I understand that I didn't do A-B-A. Seemed like the longer I could drive between 55-58mph, the more my average mpg's would creep up. 30mpg appears to be the magic number most people are shooting for with the compact SUVs.

That average number was with an auto trans, roof racks installed, a small grille guard and tires at 35psi. I think I can do better with more tire pressure and aero mods, but I'll be searching for a new vehicle next year, so I think the aero mods are out. I'm mostly a "city" driver anyway.

One last thing I learned from reading here; My decel fuel cutoff (DFCO) appears to happen anytime the vehicle can coast the engine up past 2000rpm. Very cool! and I wouldn't have noticed it without you guys mentioning to check instant mpg's when they go to 9999 on the scangauge.

Last edited by B440; 10-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: added picture
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Images of the grille guard when possible? I always imagined a brush guard (like a push bar, but extending more so upwards protecting the front end) would be great for a grille block- perfect at higher speeds, as air should flow around it, but would let your engine breathe- plus it seems easier to build.

Of course testing and driving would be needed to see if it actually works, but ABABA should show if it does or does not.

Welcome aboard!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hmm, not a bad idea. It's a Westin Safari bar and if I covered it, it would block most of the lower grille. But I bought it because it gave me a good place to mount lights that work with the high beams. It would probably work for your Escape too.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B440 View Post
Hmm, not a bad idea. It's a Westin Safari bar and if I covered it, it would block most of the lower grille. But I bought it because it gave me a good place to mount lights that work with the high beams. It would probably work for your Escape too.
Not my Escape, but I always appreciate suggestions- it belongs to the roommate. We are currently trying to get rid of it.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Escape was one of the choices when I was looking for a new vehicle at the end of 2001. CR-V won for the value of what was offered for the price point, overall reliability, and mpgs. I knew that I would be commuting every day to college, and then work. 20,000+ miles a year for four years.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
So the bump you feel at 4000RPM is secondaries opening? I drove a friend's 2005 accord and there's a noticeably increase in power at 4K.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Accord may also have the same economy vtec engine.

This video shows the dual intake with rotary valve at the 6:00 minute mark.... that I will post in the next reply
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This vid is of the K20 engine, which is just smaller displacement, but same technology as the K24.

lol. Whoever recorded (or re-recorded) this video, was playing solitaire while it was recording, and the sounds from the game have been blended into the video.

Last edited by B440; 10-18-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The safari bar is identical to this one. And I have similar lights mounted.

I just found a transmission oil line leak when I changed the oil the other day, so I need to fix it before I can do any fun stuff
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey, i've been to your area! Once a year late in summer dozens of honda insights from across new england conspire to drive REALLY SLOW through your town. I apologize if you happened to have been stuck behind me!