Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Alas Kia Got Wheel disc's on.

Undieing POS update.
The wheel disk/pan separators? work great for $27. and 1.5 hrs labor.
American Metalcraft - 18915 15" Round Pizza Pan Separator
I mounted with 4 screws drilled and tapped through inner wheel ring.
No squeeks and car seems much quieter now.
preliminary day run showed some possible coast down gains "negligible"
But I have to believe the absence of wind generated noise implied better results than what I seen.
Car seems more subject to wind shear side load from passing trucks though.
I cannot prove this because one of my rear tires wore out and I took larger size from broken honda for temps.
Investigating new set even larger than last 821 rev per miles v/s 835 from the current front 195 75 14.
It appears the POS was undergeared alot since it seems to enjoy the larger tires with out lugging down the engine on steep hill climbs, we shall see soon!
If ive exceeded the capacity of my clutch or Torque, I can just put the larger tires on back anyway so worth a try.
I will post Piks also if your going to do this mod be warned the honda 14" steelies with oval holes have a smaller inner ring so ensure all wheels are the same before running holes int covers.
Lesson learned because that temporary rear tire came with Honda round holes not squared Kia holes.
No biggie like I said the rear tires are worn out and round hole wheel goes back on the Honda anyhow.
One step closer to an avg 36mpg car I did hit a best ever 38 1/2 mpg trip Doing P&G behind a Semi on trip to Ga 2 weeks back. P&G is amazing but it sorta got my son sick after 3 hrs of it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
P&G is amazing but it sorta got my son sick after 3 hrs of it..
he just needs to get his sea legs
Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Repeated trip to ATL. GA. this weekend. Diddnt get complete economy again due to becoming lost "again" so I guess in my case a gps is a good economy upgrade lol. avg. first 1/2 up was 35.3 pretty good not great as Im sure hiway this car should hit a 38 or close.
economy back was also disrupted by a blowout right after fill up and I was very regularly up into the high 70s lower 80s but still managed a straight 34
Its not so impressive to most here but for a car that came new hitting 24outa the box hiway that is impressive while moving those speeds.
I wish I had the time to pick up the new 205 75 14s as I woulda liked to know thier results and could have avoided the Balding aged tires blow out too.
I say balding to me 1/8" tread is as said to others mabe not so.
The wheel disks havent shown a major gain IMHO other than quietness, the car sounds like I put it in stealth mode Im sure they did something from that alone but I have not seen solid 36mpg that I had expected.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

got an extra trip?

Ive looked at the reciept and it all adds up to one full 57 mile round trip from last tank.
I dont even know how it happened?? I did move that OEM spoiler to end of trunk but cant see that doing it.
I did alot of P&G behind Semi trucks too but I normally do.?
Im not complaining by any means but I would really like to duplicate it for confirmation.
I diddnt set mileage for this tank but did manage to put 13 gal gas into a 13 gal tank was it repeated chevron fuel? did they mix Hi test???
Well its an Enigma and I will load fuel again tonight and track data. Perhaps the wheel disc are really working + 2mpg????? doubt it.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

found F/R brake worn out

dr. side is 1/2 but that was very near metal.
so this teel something about why I cant get past the magic 38mpg marker.
It is still awesome to go from 19.5 avg. eco to 35.3 but I really want this project to peak before I get a eco 40mpg+ out of the box and mod it.
I have not gotten a new base line mpg set since new wheel disc covrs and moving the factor spoiler out past end of the trunk 3"+ overhang.
due to trips and fuel gage issues.
The car shows over 1/2 tank now after 4 round trips that est. is a solid 35 atm. but it also had a bunch of in town runs that are not factored in.
Brakes fixed last night and coast down today was far beyond normal I needed to dig into brakes at off ramp where normally I just touch them after the 1 mile glide.
we shall see soon.
But I may not have solid gain numbers to post for the last 2 mods as the 205 front tires are imminent. I drive really slow in rain to keep her feet planted at the back end and she still wiggles her butt.
Its the car I love to hate now HAHAHA!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ok its fact. 37.3mpg.

I can see 40 as reality because I diddnt try hard for the 37 tanks.
I get nearly 83 more miles free per tank, Thanks to all who have contributed in last 7 months!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

37.5 confirmed

It took awhile to confirm last because don is playing football etc. etc. etc.
It may have been higher but there were some odd 2 - 3 mile trips not factored into last 4 tankfulls. I cant wait to see what the larger 205 tires add.
FYI no I dont go by the Odometer only solid trip data from yahoo and google maps. then math to get results. I cant tell ya within 4mph how fast im going either untill ive done the math. OLD school here.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
The PRC.

Trip meter is fine, remember it includes parking, unparking, getting lost, getting off the drive, reversing for moron cab drivers etc... Of course it isn't totally accurate (tyres wear - who would have known...) but near enough.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
are you running T rated tires or H rated? H are softer and i noticed a large diff after i switched to the T's.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Im not sure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
are you running T rated tires or H rated? H are softer and i noticed a large diff after i switched to the T's.
I will find out thanks for info I do know thier LRR good years but far from the best

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
t rated, tires