Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
60"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
Frank I completely agree with 99% of your last post, but I would like to add to elaborate on the following two points:

Actually, Walmart, who does extensive Class 8 testing as most are aware, did it reversely. They built several low-boy van test trailers with smaller rear tires and wheels. They had vertical pneumatic actuators that raised the rear of the trailer to standard dock height to facilitate loading and un-loading.

Also, FMCSA allows up to 60" past the rear of the trailer for rear aerodynamic add-on devices. Although most all sold are 48" in length so they can be stowed behind the open doors, per one of your other points. The units that we will be selling in the spring will be a full 60" and stowable.
I hope they sell like hot cakes,that you recover all your expenses quickly, grow filthy rich,and drive the market,out of greed if nothing else.
Best to you and your team!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Colani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Frank, notice I did not claim the Colani trucks are aerodynamic. I regard him more as an idea machine than anything.
Luigi showed up at Bonneville about a decade ago with his cyclopian truck loaded with eleven LSR attempt vehicles.The tractor-trailer had a Cd 0.38 graphic on it.And the truck ran in the high 80-mph range with a small engine on the salt.
There were quite a few HPVs and some were reported with very low Cds.And they weren't all freakish looking.
Colani's a mess.And its a good thing that the Universe is expanding,it will take all that room to contain his ego,but some of his stuff IS kinda scientific-looking.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #63 (permalink)
radioranger

not yet but got me thinking

Video on you tube seems pretty convincing, i guess anything that eases the transition form flat to tapered really helps,I have an old shortbed ranger and am thinking of trying to make a bed cover that extends past the tailgate a foot or so to make the truck seem longer , and use the same thing under the rear bumper to bring the airflow up gradually , understand you only have to cover the back one third or so of your bed to get full benefit of cover , so a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood cut to fit across the bed and let it hang off the back a bit , easy and cheap to test, any taper past 7 degrees down though will cause flow to separate, that's why all these new crossover vehicles have a tapered roof.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #64 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Been there; done that!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #65 (permalink)
radioranger

A little pricey that way , I am definitely low buck eco modder, more fun too, anybody tried the extended bed cover yet!, it seems , believe it or not but i seem get better mileage towing my small rowboat, since it kind of tucks in behind the truck and is lover than the top of the tailgate maybe it is helping, how about a boat tail trailer for aero and match it to your truck any cargo is just a bonus capability and it keeps people from tailgating too close, always a bennny fit
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
how about a boat tail trailer for aero and match it to your truck any cargo is just a bonus capability and it keeps people from tailgating too close, always a bennny fit
Legal issues get in the way - rig length, and towing 2 trailers at the same time is not allowed everywhere.

Practical issues : where do you drop off the boat-tail trailer before (un)loading the big trailer ?
Where do you park the big trailer to just use the boat-tail trailer ?
The long-haul guys who would benefit from an aero trailer normally don't do the distribution runs with smaller trailers / fixed box trucks.

Reply  Post New Thread