Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ho-Sook - '10 Hyundai Accent GS
Project Accent: This thing should get way more than 30 MPG!

Alright, I'm convinced.

As "clean" as the 2K7-11 Accent hatch looks aerodynamically, something's seriously wrong here.

I'll explain. I do enjoy cruising at a decent speed since I have a busy life and need to get a lot of things done in a short period of time, not terribly fast though; usually within 5 MPH of the posted limit.

So I made a trip to Baltimore recently, and noted something pretty surprising. On the way down, I tried to DWL with my throttle set at a meager 15. Was kind of scary at times for that stretch of I-95, especially on those long uphills where I'd end up doing 40 and everyone else was flying by me, but I remained dedicated to my cause. Still, the carefulness paid off - at 185 miles, I still had over half a tank! On flat stretches, the little hatch would get around 60 MPH at 15% throttle.

But heading back up, time was a little more scarce. I decided to keep at or around the limit... but I'd have to hold nearly 22% throttle to maintain 65 on flat stretches! That's a huge difference that also took a hit out of my return MPG and whittled the tank's average to 33. That suggest to me at least, a ton of aero resistance. I'm not sure why, because the car has a long hood with a good-appearing leading edge and an abrupt end to the back, but eh...

Something's definitely wrong, aerodynamically speaking. Past observations reflect the data I collected on my most recent trip; in the past, during the occasional rush-to-work when I'm averaging 85 MPH on the turnpike, the throttle is almost 3/4 down and forcing a downshift to 3rd. Funny that, because I never had to apply that much throttle in my ol '90 Tercel to maintain the same speed on a flat stretch of road (but DID have to floor it on the uphills, heh) and yet the Tercel was 78 HP and this thing is claimed to put out 110 HP.

Also, my front bumper is damaged. It has its shape, but I had to Gorilla Tape over a crack caused by someone driving into it. I didn't notice any real increase in air resistance but that's not even the point I'm driving. Point is, the front bumper is expendable. I'm thinking engineering a new front bumper is a great place to start - but like, how do I not screw things up?

I know less than jack about aerodynamics, and even less than that about fabrication - I'm also an underpaid retail worker, so I can't just hire out tons of help. Where do I go from here? My old Yaris that was totaled out would easily get 40 MPG under similar RPM/speed combinations and yet this little Korean with just an extra 100cc of displacement and 80 additional pounds struggles to hit 30 under normal Jersey driving, and has yet to ace 35 while DWL!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
First question: where are you keeping your fuel log?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ho-Sook - '10 Hyundai Accent GS
Fuelly. I'm using standard-fare law-mandated E10 87, and always keeping an eye on the attendant so he doesn't try to round up to the next dollar when the pump clicks.

Heh, finally figured out how to factor in the sig to my user info. Okay!

edit: Considering first 'aero' mod to be ditching the factory Hyundai wheel covers for moon discs. Worth the $60?

Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 11-22-2012 at 03:34 PM..
Old 11-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Well, figure a couple percent improvement and crunch the numbers.

Given the season, I'd start with a partial grille block for the extra advantage of faster warm-up times/heat retention + aero benefits. Keep an eye on your temp gauge & listen for the fan.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread