Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post

If its engine oil, and it's only going one way, it would have to be oil under pressure...or it would go both ways or the other way. A crack or a leak somewhere between the oil pump and anything it supplies.
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking: one way infiltration of oil into coolant because oil is under greater pressure than coolant. Clearly, that's just the most common type of failure though, and I like to "test instead of guess."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
If a head gasket is leaking compression you might see bubbles in the coolant when the engine is idling.
You mean bubbles in the reserve tank? If I run it with the rad cap off it'll bubble over I would think. I should be able to test tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Does that car have an integrated oil heater/cooler in the radiator?
It does not. Very simple, bullet proof efficient design is why we bought it when it was three years old with 27,000 miles. Love this old machine. I brought my now 15 year old daughter home fornthe first time in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
... While you're in there anyway, I know these have a 105k timing belt change interval. But it's a pain, might as well slap a new belt/water pump/tensioner on. And if you have the feeler gauges, adjust the valves when you're getting 'er back together.
I just did the belt 40k miles ago, so I'll leave well enough alone on that one. And I end up back in often enough that I'll get another chance to do the belt soon enough.

I do have the feeler gauges and did a valve lash adjustment once before, so, round two! Yippie!!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2018, 12:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
... A crack or a leak somewhere between the oil pump and anything it supplies. ...
Thinking more about this one... The engine is an inline four with an overhead cam. The oil pan is under the block and has the oil pump within it. The head of course is ontop of the block. So I would think a cracked block or a failed head gasket would be closest to where oil pressure would be highest (if oil pressure really varies enough to make a diff in this kind of situation).

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread