Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Topoff - '92 Geo Metro LSi
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)

'91 Miata - '91 Mazda Miata
90 day: 27.09 mpg (US)

'86 Fiero GT - '86 Pontiac Fiero GT

Purple Penny Pincher - '95 Pontiac Firefly Base
90 day: 38.91 mpg (US)

Jett-Black - '01 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 39.32 mpg (US)
Turtle

I wound up ordering another "better" BMS, after looking up the specs for the one I had. While it is supposed to be for LiFePO4 cells and all, I did not like the voltage cutoff being 0.1v (per cell) higher than the better one.

So, seeing as it has the LEDs indicators on it, I feel more confident in placing the cells in place of the gas tank, and have ordered more/longer leads to allow the BMS to reside in the spare tire well, where I will probably also mount at least one of the chargers.

I was sold on the idea, until I looked at my photos of where I was planning on placing them under the hood. I'm on the fence again.

If I put them in place of the gas tank, I can't visually check the cells. This concerns me.

If I put them right up front, they're going to get smoked if I have even a small fender-bender. This concerns me. Probably more.

There's minimal difference to how the cells get laid out, so I can still continue with the wiring, even if I haven't completely made up my mind.

Progress? What's that?

I put the first pack back in and re-connected the wiring, so she works again:

I have plenty of little(reasonable, individually) tasks to do, besides the big task regarding the other battery pack. Vacuum pump and reservoir to go in. Rear wheel bearing to replace (since I "borrowed" the good hub/drum to get my other firefly back on the road). Chargers to go in, eventually. Synchromesh for the transmission. Not a lot, really.

I'll start plugging away on these.

To help motivate me, I got a good deal on Monday. I had offered the guy 1/3rd less(my normal money-saving tactic) than his asking price a month back, and left it at that. Assumed that was the end of it when I didn't hear back from him for a while. Got an email Sunday night, and I just happened to be traveling up-island Monday, so I picked them up on the way:

They're 14's, vs the stock steel 13s.

I like 5-spoke "star" wheels. They come across as "sporty" to me. Any more or less...doesn't.

They also happened to come with just the size tires I was hoping for (185/65), with about 50% left to the wear-bars, so I'm not out another couple hundred bucks finding tires and getting them mounted.

155s vs 185s:

Yes, the tread actually is 30mm wider. I expect they'll make the Firefly stick to the road a lot better around the corners.

They're 5lbs heavier each. And like the additional width causing additional rolling resistance, well...I'm willing to put up with the slight range loss for a nice set of wheels that makes the car more appealing to look at and drive.

And bonus! They're dual bolt pattern, 4x114.3 & 4x100, so they'll fit most small cars. And I like small cars, so they can follow me if I get tired of the Firefly. (They'll fit my Miata, and even have the OE sized tires on them)

Hopefully they will succeed in encouraging me to get on with things.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #192 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Topoff - '92 Geo Metro LSi
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)

'91 Miata - '91 Mazda Miata
90 day: 27.09 mpg (US)

'86 Fiero GT - '86 Pontiac Fiero GT

Purple Penny Pincher - '95 Pontiac Firefly Base
90 day: 38.91 mpg (US)

Jett-Black - '01 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 39.32 mpg (US)
Wheel bearing is in. Now the wheel actually turns!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #193 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the question regarding collision damage: when as the last time you totalled a vehicle?

So yes the batteries in the front and rear edges are potentially catastrophic, and the STO. of accidents isn't <1. good fusing, and electrically insulating the cells from shorting metals should suffice.

you do drive around in a fueled vehicle that has enough potential energy to destroy a small city if the fuel is correctly mixed with oxygen.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #194 (permalink)
Adrift in the slow lane

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 58.65 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 31.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
... you do drive around in a fueled vehicle that has enough potential energy to destroy a small city if the fuel is correctly mixed with oxygen.
Oh, the potential for disaster if the conditions are right for it...

Your car can give millions of people a sore butt if the metal is transformed into thumbtacks and placed on seats with the pin sticking upwards :P

Last edited by RedDevil; 05-30-2017 at 02:53 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
conversion, electric, ev conversion, firefly, geo metro