Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 AM   #61 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAh View Post
In the 1940's and 50's there were some bizzarre petrol engine conversions called Hesselman diesels, mainly in trucks and busses. The most common engine was a 6-cyl Volvo engine with low compression (even for a petrol engine, I think it was around 7:1). The engine had powerful spark-plugs for ignition and two slightly special valves per cylinder, giving an extra good swirl. Once started on petrol the Hesselman could switch over and run on the much cheaper oily diesel, -probably with a lot of black smoke and poor efficiency. To keep cylinder temperature up, the idle was kept quite high, and to help it even more, half of the cylinders were completely shut off to make the remaining three work a lot harder. (probably resulting in an extra dense black turd while driving off again...) There were a lot of problems with these engines due to soot and inlet valves that could not rotate the usual way.
Hesselman engines were the earliest application of direct injection in spark-ignited engines, but I never even heard of them being fitted with cylinders shut-off in order to raise the temperatuer while operating on heavy fuels. Surprisingly, at that time the Diesel engines made by Volvo and Scania still featured indirect injection. Anyway, the Hesselman engines were more suitable to use kerosene instead of Diesel fuel.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #62 (permalink)
NHB
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
What makes me quite skeptical is about the life of a rubber belt being soaked on oil.
I haven't heard about any issues with these modern belt bathing in oil. Millions of cars test these belts every day. I think that they are even more reliable than chains.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #63 (permalink)
NHB
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Apart from the cars growing bigger and heavier at each new generation (a weight reduction at this transition is highly uncommon), other issues such as the gear ratio better suited to standard test procedures over real-world efficiency can also be blamed for that.
Cars have been getting leaner for some time already. I would say that here in Europe almost all new models are lighter than their predeseccors. The tide has changed.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #64 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHB View Post
Cars have been getting leaner for some time already. I would say that here in Europe almost all new models are lighter than their predeseccors. The tide has changed.
I'm not in Europe, but anyway, eventually some different alloys used there might provide a higher tensile strenght to weight ratio than what is used in my country, and this would allow some weight reduction. Engine downsizing seems to be taken more seriously there too, while 3-cylinder engines started to become mainstream in my country just about 4 years ago.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #65 (permalink)
NHB
EcoModding Lurker

Ford has introduced 1.5 liter 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation. Interesting to see, how it compares to the competition in 200 hp class. Ford could cover 100-200 hp range with 3-cylinder engines.

Green Car Congress: Next-Gen Ford Fiesta St with new 200 PS 3-cylinder, 1.5L Ecoboost with 3 drive modes; cylinder deactivation
Old 02-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #66 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,283 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHB View Post
Ford has introduced 1.5 liter 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation. Interesting to see, how it compares to the competition in 200 hp class. Ford could cover 100-200 hp range with 3-cylinder engines.

Green Car Congress: Next-Gen Ford Fiesta St with new 200 PS 3-cylinder, 1.5L Ecoboost with 3 drive modes; cylinder deactivation
This is one time that I'd let the europeans be the guinea pigs and testers...I'd wait to see THEIR results before wanting one for myself.

2011 Chevrolet LTZ Cruze 1.4LT 6A
1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M
Reply  Post New Thread