Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
I wonder if this feature will greatly help the new Fiesta's emissions and fuel economy test figures, but will not have much, if any, effect in the real world?
Did Ford hire some ex-VW engineers?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markweatherill View Post
I wonder if this feature will greatly help the new Fiesta's emissions and fuel economy test figures, but will not have much, if any, effect in the real world?
Did Ford hire some ex-VW engineers?
Umm... I can imagine it will have a big real world difference. Lean burn makes a huge difference in Honda engines, I can imagine the power loss is somewhat similar.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
In my 2016 civic, wasn't hard to stay off boost at all, and I could get boost at 1500rpm the turbo was so small.
Not just the turbochargers got smaller and VGT became widespread, ignition and injection timing are also optimized to overcome the turbo-lag in newer engines.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
I thought that a badly tuned Geo Metro was a 3 cylinder with cylinder de-activation (albeit randomly due to misfires)

Jokes aside, that is how I would do it - randomly miss an injection cycle every 3-4 engine revolutions and cycle through which one was missed in the reverse of firing order. This would increase the load factor and slightly decrease fuel usage without much work. The lambda sensor will probably not be affected too much.

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBlackDuck For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (12-16-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
It can be done though, for example with an electric super charger you'd have a very economical 1L engine on no boost, but still have power for when you really need/ want it. Exhaust gas might be 'free' energy, but the realities of fuel enrichment still make it fairly uneconomical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I've been seeing some articles come up lately about how downsized turbo engines are more often than not delivering worse fuel economy, or at least no better, than the larger displacement engines they're replacing, at least with your typical driver. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of engineering, but it usually seems to be the case that with the higher compression, timing needs to be pulled and/or AFR goes rich, causing them to be less efficient when producing power under boost than a NA engine. Small turbo motors are great for people who stay out of boost, but most people have lead feet.
On this one - 1.0 liter ecoboost - the need for fuel enrichment is avoided; it runs stoichiometric throughout the load range. At least in part this is due to the exhaust cooling in the exhaust manifold integrated with the cylinder head.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
I thought that a badly tuned Geo Metro was a 3 cylinder with cylinder de-activation (albeit randomly due to misfires)

Jokes aside, that is how I would do it - randomly miss an injection cycle every 3-4 engine revolutions and cycle through which one was missed in the reverse of firing order. This would increase the load factor and slightly decrease fuel usage without much work. The lambda sensor will probably not be affected too much.

Simon
The Ford engineers tried both rolling cylinder cut and cutting just one cylinder. The rolling cylinder cut permits more opportunity for cutting the cylinder(s) but at a higher cost.

No effect on Lambda sensor as, unlike an engine misfire, the exhaust gas composition doesn't change with the cylinder cut.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
On this one - 1.0 liter ecoboost - the need for fuel enrichment is avoided; it runs stoichiometric throughout the load range. At least in part this is due to the exhaust cooling in the exhaust manifold integrated with the cylinder head.
That's not possible. You MUST run richer fuel ratios when you are in boost. No amount of tricks or gags can prevent this. Maybe. MAYBE at 1 and 2psi you can get away with 14.7, but no more.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Apparently not (enrichment) : Ford’s new 1.0-L EcoBoost I3 is big on low-friction technology - SAE International

Power density was the biggest single R&D task of the 1.0-L program, noted Zenner. “To achieve that and make this very compact engine durable was quite a challenge, in particular for the cylinder head," he explained. The long-stroke dimensions (71.9 x 82 mm) are good for knock mitigation, torque, and overall packaging. The 6.1-mm (0.24-in) bore bridges include a cooling slot, Zenner noted.

The two most advanced areas of the engine’s technology cited by Zenner are its exhaust manifold that is integrated into the cylinder head casting and its internal timing belt that runs in a bath of engine lubricant. The manifold saves nearly a kilogram (2.2 lb) of weight, accelerates engine warm-up, and enables stochiometric operation in the whole operating range.

Working together, Continental and Ford also have managed to obviate the need for additional enrichment (resulting in high fuel burn) to control turbo temperatures. The integrated exhaust manifold cools exhaust gas, and the turbo’s turbine has been developed to withstand temperatures of up to 1050ºC. Some turbos have a 1000ºC limit, and from about 3000 rpm, they need extra fuel for cooling, stated Zenner.

Last edited by Occasionally6; 12-10-2016 at 10:29 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Occasionally6 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-10-2016), oldtamiyaphile (12-16-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #49 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

I still don't believe it. When someone gets one, puts a wideband gauge on it and runs it with data logging enables and posts the results, THEN I will believe it. Their statements sound like it's coming from people who have absolutely no idea how forced induction works.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
That manifold cast directly into the cylinder head seems to be a smart move, but I still wouldn't trust that engine because of the oil-bathed BELT instead of chain.

Reply  Post New Thread