Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
Are you concerned that the title is rebuilt? If i could get it for $1500 less I'd probably do it.

Well he says it had front driver side damage. Im guessing a combination of it being a rare car but a newer car resulting in repair bills of even 4-5k of dealer prices to make it totaled. INS companies will total at about 70% of the value or less alot of times. If the KBB for it in fair condition is around 6-6500 i could see that being very easily totaled.

I once got hit on my 06 zx-10 motorcycle. Broke the rear fairing stay off near the frame. Totaled got $8200 got a new part for about $800 total needed a new tire and rim and was good to go. INS companies look at value loss not cost to fix.

That insight if you can negotiate down a little bit is a good option. And like I said before it wont lose too much value. It cant. Even in a few years that will be a 6-7k car.

The Following User Says Thank You to synergy For This Useful Post:
brett701 (01-17-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Actually I forgot one of my favorite cars!

2005 SAAB 9-3 2.0 TURBO........CLEAN AND VERY LOW MILES!!!!

saab 93. 2.0T from GM built on the epsilon platform also from GM.

People are afraid because saabs gone but this ones a GM really....
Looks sharp and the interior is pretty nice.
brett701 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Based on my recent experience with KT's cobalt vs my Cobalt XFE, I wouldn't buy another front end damaged car. Hail dent any day, dropped $609 at dealer for KT's cobalt BCM(almost 10% of purchase prices), stll not sure if that was the problem still symptoms afterwards. The longer from the rebuild the better, KT's was straight from the rebuilder even though he put 3,000 miles on it.

Looked in to getting to Iowa auctions, pretty much impossible for the average guy, need land line, 32 hours per week office hours and service bays. Apparently way different between states.

I'd jump on the 2010 Cobalt for $4950 if I hadn't already got KT's for over 7(less miles though).
Here are the issues with the insight 2010:

Hood, 1 headlight, front grille, bumper reinforcement. Have all paper and photos before repair if need
Old 01-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
Actually I forgot one of my favorite cars!

2005 SAAB 9-3 2.0 TURBO........CLEAN AND VERY LOW MILES!!!!

saab 93. 2.0T from GM built on the epsilon platform also from GM.

People are afraid because saabs gone but this ones a GM really....
Looks sharp and the interior is pretty nice.
That's a clean looking car. That is the most reliable from what I've looked up. Aren't you worried about Saab's reliability?

When you google "saab" the first website is saabparts.com
Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah Id be worried about saabs real saabs using the H or B series saab engine...

What I wouldnt be worried about is a car built on one of GMs most used ever platforms.

GM Epsilon platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

uses an lk9 engine.

GM Ecotec engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its Gm ecotec....

Thats why I think its a really good buy in the used world.

Heres a thread talking about crankshaft position sensors. At saab 200$ at chevy for the cobalt ss 43$. Same part number.

Also says rocker cover gaskets are interchange able and ignition coils. And everyone with these saabs always asks why is GM printed everywhere. Its because Gm made it.

Just found more...

Oil filter element 12605566
Oil filter seal ring 12580255
Air filter element 12786800
Spark plugs 12787099
Aux drive belt 55556404
Pollen air filter 93172129
Front brake pads 12802167

this is a good read.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/5/2...b-9-3-7714152/
brett701 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If your ok with wagon/hatch backs this is a good deal. If you can drive stick.

2004 Pontiac Vibe GT 4dr Wagon

Its a Pontiac vibe.... Or is it... It is a toyota matrix built on the toyota corolla chassis. This one is a GT with a 6spd manual and the zz2-ge from the Lotus elise 1.8l 8300 rpm redline with two stage cams. The lower cam is really good for economy. My mom had this car for about 5 years and would get high 30s in it.

It also shares the transmission with a mr-2. Nobody knows what is under that Pontiac shell.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
That is a great option. I just don't know if I can stand to drive that color of car for so long. I know it's cosmetic, but its the truth.

Thank you.
You can't beat a Yaris for low maintenance and reliability. Drive it two years, put 45k miles on the car, same as the Altima.

At just under 100k miles total the Yaris is still worth $4k, Compare that to what the Altima cost you for 45k miles. The Yaris would do that with almost no repairs, maybe a set of tires, some plugs, and several oil changes.

If color is your rejection criteria, then sell the Yaris when you get your finances straight, or get the damn thing repainted.

What you don't want to do is buy something that needs any potential major work, which, in your first post stated not mechanically inclined.

$325 X 22 months + $325 X 14 months = $11700. Add another $5-6k for taxes, insurance and gas. You're at $18k for that 45k miles.

Same miles on the Yaris.

$2500 depreciation versus $11700, slightly better mileage, much lower taxes and insurance. That will get you back into positive equity, then stay there.

regards
mech
Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
If your ok with wagon/hatch backs this is a good deal. If you can drive stick.

2004 Pontiac Vibe GT 4dr Wagon

Its a Pontiac vibe.... Or is it... It is a toyota matrix built on the toyota corolla chassis. This one is a GT with a 6spd manual and the zz2-ge from the Lotus elise 1.8l 8300 rpm redline with two stage cams. The lower cam is really good for economy. My mom had this car for about 5 years and would get high 30s in it.

It also shares the transmission with a mr-2. Nobody knows what is under that Pontiac shell.
Damn. that is a beast of a car after reading about it. It really is a hidden beast. Mechanic has me thinking about repainting cars now.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
You can't beat a Yaris for low maintenance and reliability. Drive it two years, put 45k miles on the car, same as the Altima.

At just under 100k miles total the Yaris is still worth $4k, Compare that to what the Altima cost you for 45k miles. The Yaris would do that with almost no repairs, maybe a set of tires, some plugs, and several oil changes.

If color is your rejection criteria, then sell the Yaris when you get your finances straight, or get the damn thing repainted.

What you don't want to do is buy something that needs any potential major work, which, in your first post stated not mechanically inclined.

$325 X 22 months + $325 X 14 months = $11700. Add another $5-6k for taxes, insurance and gas. You're at $18k for that 45k miles.

Same miles on the Yaris.

$2500 depreciation versus $11700, slightly better mileage, much lower taxes and insurance. That will get you back into positive equity, then stay there.

regards
mech
I thought painting a vehicle was like $5000?
Also, why do you say drive it for 2 years? Is there some sort of maintenance expected then? I know nothing of maintenance except for changing oil.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am testing out the insight tomorrow at 11 am. I called the owner of it. "Slav" he is out of town, but his male friend "vova" has been borrowing the car.

I don't know what to look for when purchasing a used car. I'd like for it to be inspected by someone before deciding to purchase a used car that has been rebuilt.

Reply  Post New Thread