Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Read Firehawks thread on his engine swap. Lean burn requires good egr distribution and that means the passageways need to be cleaned thoroughly.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rob

Silver Bullet - '00 Honda Civic HX
More Lean Burn 2000 HX

MECH, Thanks for the reminder about the EGR passages in regards to the Lean Burn. Today was the first day I had enough open hi-way in front of me to pursue the lean burn keeping a watchful eye on the TPS - not getting above 30% mostly in the 20% range using my Scan Gauge. The only times it would engage is on the slight down hill and it would engage even with 19% TPS. Would not stay in - maybe 30 seconds at the most. I also noticed it would indicate Lean Burn on deceleration at the same time it went into open loop -- full-on coasting. Is it right to be in open loop on deceleration and idle ?

IF, the EGR ports are not clogged up I am wondering what I need to check out regarding the LB mode. Is there a chance the ECU is lazy about making decisions...... yeah, I give car parts human characteristics when needed !
Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2001 Civic HX info, Torque for leanburn monitoring

Hey! I read this whole thread a while back, and just wanted to chime in.

First, I monitor leanburn with the Torque app for Android- here's how:

- Buy a $15 OBDII bluetooth adapter from Amazon.
- Buy the $5 Torque Pro app
- Create a Digital Readout gauge in the app, and set it to measure O2 1x2 (bank 1, sensor 2). When this O2 sensor reads zero, you are either in leanburn, or DFCO (deceleration fuel cutoff). If your foot is on the gas and you aren't decelerating, you are in leanburn.
- Long press on the gauge you just created, then click "display configuration" Then click "Set Low Warning" A dialogue then opens- "Flash dial when it falls below this value"- Set the value to 0.0.

That creates a flashing dial indication for when you're in lean burn. I keep my phone in a mount on my dash, which makes it really easy to monitor leanburn.

I also learned that the Torque App MPG calculations do not work with leanburn mode. The reason is that the torque app uses the stoichiometric ratio in it's calculations of gas mileage. So when in leanburn mode, the Civic is using less gas than it would be at stoich, leading to an incorrect MPG number- I think I actually see my MPG's go down when I enter leanburn, which was scary at first, but makes sense now! I just measure my MPG's at fill ups off the odometer.

Now info about the 2001 Civic HX, ULEV with CARB sticker

I'm assuming this is a CA car, hence the CARB sticker.

- I can get it to kick into leanburn in 3rd, 4th or 5th gears.

- Lean burn kicks out right about 70mph- sometimes I can get it up to 71 or 72 if I'm REAAAAAL easy on the gas. But 70 seems to be the intended cutoff.

- The way I get leanburn to engage is usually on flat or going slightly down hill. I get up to speed, say 60 mph, then slowly ease off the gas over about 30 seconds. It will eventually kick into leanburn, although I'll usually lose between 5 and 10 mph. Then I'll slowly ease it back up to speed.

- From time to time, leanburn seems to shut off, even if I'm very careful with my driving. I read somewhere that this is the system purging itself, or cooling down, something like that. It usually takes a couple minutes before it will drop back in. But knowing that it's an intended function of the car makes it less frustrating for me.

- Like others have said, once it's in leanburn mode, if it kicks out easy, it will drop back in easy. However, if it kicks out hard, ie, if I punch the gas hard, it will take the normal 30 seconds or so of slowly easing off the gas pedal for it to drop back in.

- I cleaned my egr ports when I first got the car. I hadn't mastered leanburn monitoring at that point yet, so I can't say for sure whether that made much of a difference, but I can tell you that my car enters lean burn excellently now. It is always consistent, easy to get in, stays in well. Although, I imagine there's still room for improvement! (I'm actually having an O2 sensor problem at the moment, but under normal circumstances, it works great).

We took a trip to Northern California from Salem, OR, and over the 500 mile trip we averaged 42 mpg with monitoring leanburn and keeping engaged whenever possible. 2 passengers. I was decently happy with that, although I'd like to see more.

Love this car! 220k on the engine and still getting 40+mpg. Love it.

Last edited by skatefrench; 08-15-2016 at 11:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to skatefrench For This Useful Post:
1hondaman (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rob

HX Lean Burn

I really appreciate your added info on the lean burn characteristics and methods to engage and hold.
I went to Amazon and found a glut of choices for the Bluetooth adapter and also the torque pro app - one app claimed to be free. My phone is a Samsung Galaxie 3 but I also have a Samsung Tablet with a much bigger screen which I would prefer. The bluetooth and "app" world is something I am new to.
My next adventure with this HX is to add HHO to the intake air stream and see if I can deliver some huge mileage gains.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hondaman View Post
... My next adventure with this HX is to add HHO to the intake air stream and see if I can deliver some huge mileage gains.
Search for HHO debates here at EM. The consensus is that it does not work. I know, I know, you hear different. Read here first. The debates are very revealing. Enjoy the car. Love the 92-00 Civics.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hondaman View Post

I went to Amazon and found a glut of choices for the Bluetooth adapter and also the torque pro app - one app claimed to be free.
I purchased the BAFX 34t5 bluetooth adapter from Amazon. I've had it for a couple years and it works excellently. Has great reviews.

And the free Torque app works great- it just doesn't have as many features as the paid version, and isn't updated as frequently. I'm sure you can still monitor the O2 sensor in the free version, but I don't know if you can create a flashing gauge to indicate lean burn. The layout is much prettier on the paid app, too, so for something I look at so much, it's nice to have!

I hope that info can help some people, cause it took me a bit of searching and trial and error to figure out.
The Following User Says Thank You to skatefrench For This Useful Post:
1hondaman (08-16-2016)
Old 08-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I know this is an old thread but just added MMO again since having a low tank 2 after my best. Came to the realization that I had MMO in my best tank. This is with my cruze and the drop was significant even with switch to non LRR tires. After fuel up I started watching fuel trims again. And I would run a steady -22 fuel trim for a stretch when normally it's around -2 to -8. As far as I know that isn't supposed to happen since my car isn't lan burn applicable... Any thoughts
Old 08-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rob

I would like to help you with regard to the fuel trim numbers, but I have not pursued that unit of measurement with my diagnostic equipment. I continue to monitor Lean Burn using my Scan Gauge. I have bought the Bluetooth adapter from Amazon but not the better app. I need to make a holder for the Samsung notebook that will place it for easy viewing when driving. I recently drove over 4500 miles averaging 60- 70 MPH with the A/C on from Texas to California and back. I would average about 38 mpg with one tank delivering 40 MPG. Prior to the trip I installed a new Cat Con as a maintenance measure since the car has 230K miles on the clock. Other than that, the car is bone stock.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I will have to do some more monitoring on it, but the way your describing lean burn it seems to act that way. Apparently MMO is really a mystery. Hopefully someone can chime in. I noticed it twice and passed it off as an anomaly during my 59 mpg tank. Now with some throttle feathering I was replicating it so kind of baffling. Will play with it as I run this tank and will continue to add the MMO.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rob

Help me with "MMO" not sure what this is.

Last edited by 1hondaman; 08-20-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread