Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Variable pressure = something more to go wrong, waste fuel, and weigh more.
True but... I'd rather have variable tire pressure than A/C or Bluetooth, or an automatic, or an ICE, or 8 way electric adjust seats, or cruise control...

OK, I thought about it for longer than an nanosecond... it's a silly idea. Need lower pressure, Get out and let some air out.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
True but... I'd rather have variable tire pressure than A/C or Bluetooth, or an automatic, or an ICE, or 8 way electric adjust seats, or cruise control...
There's no "I'd rather have" in the marketing scheme of the publicly traded auto manufacturers... only "Here's what you need, here's how much more you're going to pay for it."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
CoastRider (12-16-2009), Piwoslaw (12-15-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I know. *sigh* I'm just living in my little dream world here...Ya gotta have dreams.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

The Following User Says Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
Christ (12-14-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
"Here's what you need, here's how much more you're going to pay for it."
There's why your market share is down another couple of percentage points this year :-)

You know, I just realized something: 1) US automakers' market share is down to about 50%; 2) By definition, half the population has below-average intelligence. You suppose there's a connection :-)
Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
You know, I just realized something: 1) US automakers' market share is down to about 50%; 2) By definition, half the population has below-average intelligence. You suppose there's a connection :-)
Have a similar theory about political affiliation but I'm too smart to elaborate.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Have a similar theory about political affiliation but I'm too smart to elaborate.
...ah, a member of the Astute Party?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Did someone just take high school physics? Yes the contact patch affects grip, because the rubber and the road aren't two perfectly smooth surfaces. The rubber conforms to the bumps in the pavement, and the more bumps the more grip.

If bigger contact patch = same grip, why do lawyers love staggered tire sizes?

http://www.modified.com/projectcars/...t_2/index.html

Last edited by winkosmosis; 12-14-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Did someone just take high school physics? Yes the contact patch affects grip, because the rubber and the road aren't two perfectly smooth surfaces. The rubber conforms to the bumps in the pavement, and the more bumps the more grip.
Perhaps someone should take high school physics. More bumps do not equal more grip. If this were so, drag racers, NASCAR racers, IRL racers, Formula 1 racers, etc., would want bumpy race surfaces. The very opposite is true. They put smooth grippy tires on smooth track surfaces. The reason street tires are not smooth like race tires, is that they have to be able to displace water.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Pretty sure the "bumps" are teensy, at which point the rubber displaces around them, causing "traction". Ice is smooth, nope we don't want that.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All of these thing depend upon the rubber formulation, temperature, speed, application, road surface. Here I am talking about passenger tires on asphalt / concrete in normal driving conditions.

My intention is to find and present specific information regarding the relationship between traction and inflation pressure. Whenever this is discussed some people express extreme reserve at inflating to max sidewall and hysteria at inflating somewhat past max sidewall claiming all kinds of calamity and no proof of it. I think these people are misinformed. The AutoSpeed article is interesting, if incomplete, but generally sound, and gave me somewhere to start learning more. The study I posted shows a small reduction in braking distance between low and max sidewall.

My personal opinion on this, at this time, is that up to a point, and generally speaking, higher inflation pressure gives better FE (undisputed) and gives better or the same traction (unknown but suspected) up to and a bit above max sidewall to a point I don't know what that point is but I have a hunch it's somewhere around the point at which 90% of the reduction rolling resistance from slightly higher inflation has been achieved. This is not an extreme pressure. If I had tires that were sold as low RR, I might even just leave them at max sidewall but really, I would only run lower pressures if ride were my priority. Otherwise all other safety/traction,handling issues are better at max sidewall.

One of the biggest and most common dangers is actually underinflation which can lead to blowouts from temperature build up. Higher inflation pressures (not extreme pressures) reduce the possibility of blow out by reducing heat build up.

It is not my intention to give advise, just present information I have found and my opinion on it. My opinion is based on what I have read and some of it is extrapolated from that information. I am willing to change my opinion if I find credible evidence.

From what I have found so far, max sidewall reduces...
1) risk of rollover
2) failure from overheating*
3) stopping distances
4) hydroplaning
5) slipping in snow* (depending on conditions, sometimes lower is better)
6) body lean in cornering

* edited to increase clarity

The only disadvantage to max sidewall I can think of is ride quality.

Last edited by orange4boy; 12-15-2009 at 02:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
Christ (12-15-2009)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
contact patch, inflation, max sidewall, tires, traction