Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Bless their hearts, which I am sure are in the right place. But, isn't that collective punishment?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #42 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Crazy!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
update

Took 195-lbs of aluminum to the scrapyard awhile ago (Beechcraft/Lockheed wing tank/sailboat components) and went by the shop on the way here.
After resetting the computer,the check engine light comes on almost immediately.
The zorched battery pack has been implicated in over-taxing and burning out the control module.
They've just now located a control module ($180 ) and will purchase that,and enough battery 'sticks' to freshen the pack.(to protect the new module).
I raised the project budget to $1,000.
They'll use the Insight to train a new electronics tech,and give me a break on labor cost.
They'll call me.
BamZipPow (05-18-2016), Daox (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Talking Aluminum

How much did you get for the aluminum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Took 195-lbs of aluminum to the scrapyard awhile ago (Beechcraft/Lockheed wing tank/sailboat components) and went by the shop on the way here.
After resetting the computer,the check engine light comes on almost immediately.
The zorched battery pack has been implicated in over-taxing and burning out the control module.
They've just now located a control module ($180 ) and will purchase that,and enough battery 'sticks' to freshen the pack.(to protect the new module).
They'll use the Insight to train a new electronics tech,and give me a break on labor cost.
They'll call me.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
They'll call me.
Install a no-assist clutch switch and a full-regen brake switch. Should take a couple hours with a soldering iron and some wire cutters.

What you do is you disconnect the 12v battery for like 10 seconds, reconnect it, get in the car, activate the no-assist clutch switch, and drive like that. Unless the IMA is like absolutely beyond any sort of redemption, it should charge the IMA and then just stay charged.

Don't use it to assist, or assist only sparingly. Install the full-regen brake switch as well. Use that coming to stops to get the IMA fully charged. Once the gauge reads full try using small amounts of assist here and there until you see the first bar on the IMA gauge go out and then stop assisting and only use regen.

If you do that, you're essentially babying the pack so that no cells ever go out of range and the computer won't know that half the sticks are bad. You can drive without a CEL or IMA light in this fashion for months and pass your inspection.

You might need to do a grid charge right after you install those switches just to get the pack balanced enough to begin operating it like this.

@Control Module:
Are you talking about the Battery Control Module (BCM) ? I've never heard of that going bad. You're probably getting the IMA light shortly after trying to reset it because the sticks are super unbalanced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-20-2016), BamZipPow (05-21-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

how much

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
How much did you get for the aluminum?
Half was 'dirty',with some steel components riveted on.I didn't deem it worth my time to drill out all the rivets (hundreds of them).They paid $10 for that.
The other half was 'clean',with no adulterants.They paid $40 for that.
At current fuel prices the cash will net me 925 miles on the trip.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Install a no-assist clutch switch and a full-regen brake switch. Should take a couple hours with a soldering iron and some wire cutters.

What you do is you disconnect the 12v battery for like 10 seconds, reconnect it, get in the car, activate the no-assist clutch switch, and drive like that. Unless the IMA is like absolutely beyond any sort of redemption, it should charge the IMA and then just stay charged.

Don't use it to assist, or assist only sparingly. Install the full-regen brake switch as well. Use that coming to stops to get the IMA fully charged. Once the gauge reads full try using small amounts of assist here and there until you see the first bar on the IMA gauge go out and then stop assisting and only use regen.

If you do that, you're essentially babying the pack so that no cells ever go out of range and the computer won't know that half the sticks are bad. You can drive without a CEL or IMA light in this fashion for months and pass your inspection.

You might need to do a grid charge right after you install those switches just to get the pack balanced enough to begin operating it like this.

@Control Module:
Are you talking about the Battery Control Module (BCM) ? I've never heard of that going bad. You're probably getting the IMA light shortly after trying to reset it because the sticks are super unbalanced.
Thanks Natalya! I'll save all your info for the future.I'll jeopardize my trip in September if I spend any time on the Insight at all,and am willing to take an economic hit,by letting the shop absorb dollars,just to get the title transferred and registration.
After October,when I'm back home,I can devote the time to concentrate on the hybrid.
As to the module,they've referred to it as a voltage control module.That's all I know at this point.
They told be to expect a call in a couple of weeks.Thanks again!
BamZipPow (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

update

Tommy's called late yesterday afternoon.The electronic control module had just arrived (after 2-weeks wait).They said that they'd contact me in about a week.
BamZipPow (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #49 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
This is taking forever!
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-06-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

update

Shop left a message while I was in West Texas.They've had trouble with a 'shortage' of batteries.The whole pack is shot. Some 'friend' in Denton deals with these types of batteries and is going to get involved.
They'll hold my cost to the agreed $1,000.
They hope to be through with it by July 17th.

Xist (07-11-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread