Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
If it has two stator coils they might be rewired for 12, or if it is just one then maybe rewind it with twice as much wire (smaller diameter of course).

Also, it is AC, coming out of the stator so you can cobble together a transformer too, or a couple of dissected and backwards wall warts to ramp up the voltage. You need a combination of transformers that would add up to ~55 volts, put all the secondaries in series, call them the primaries, and put the primaries in parallel (and in phase) and call them the secondaries and rectify that.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
Many of those old generators where built in halves. Two six volts halves that combined to make 12 volts, it probably just has the one half, you can probably find a similar stator assembly that will bolt up that is 12 volts. I ran one for years on just one six volt half to keep the 12v battery from completely dying it only had a rectifyier, no regulator and no lights, no nothing except power to the coils.
What is the diameter of the stator? I might have one that will fit, and the regulator, rectifiers to go with it.
I can email you the section of the FSM dealing w/ the Generator/Charging circuit, and you can see if there's anything in there that will answer your questions. I'm not with the bike right now, and won't have time to see it much until the quad is fixed and in storage.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
I always look forward to build threads. They usually help us all avoid pitfalls when making similar modifications or builds. Thanks for Trailblazing!

Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well, I'm not sure how many people are going to be building the TwinStar setup, but there are quite a few bikes with "recycled" technology that stems from the same inline twin, so it may help someone out, I guess!

Tygen1 - Woops, I thought I had your email, but I don't. Obviously, I haven't emailed you anything, then.

I dunno if the 200CC ATV Honda motor I have will have the same size parts or not?

Last edited by Christ; 10-15-2009 at 12:52 AM..
Old 10-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
meanjoe75fan -

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanjoe75fan View Post
WOOT!

Always a special feeling when a "project" catches and runs of its own accord...

Got a 1972 CB350 recently (already running, though) and the minivan is quite a useful vehicle in that regard.
I second that WOOT! I was about to say that Christ' CM185T reminds me of the 1972 CB350 I used to own, except it's shinier and closer to OEM. I gave mine away to a Honda-phile who was going to restore it. I should give him a call and see what's up.

Nostalgia *sigh*,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Carlos -

Interestingly enough, I almost bought a CB350 last night in decent condition for $100. It was given as payment for services, and the guy didn't want it. I didn't have $100, though, to spend on hand without thinking about it, so I passed on it. Dern it all. That would have been a nice rider, I bet.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

So, after some thinking today, I decided a few things:

I plan on using this bike to get me around, which includes short trips to the store, etc. I may also need, at some point, to carry light tools with me, carry a lunch, a change of clothes, or any of a multitude of other things.

I'll never have anyone on the back of the bike.

My back hurts constantly, due to damage caused years ago. I'd like a back rest for long trips.

Since I'll never have anyone on the back of the bike, I can use their leg area for bags. Since that constitutes a seat that is wasted space, I can put a backrest there, instead. Behind the backrest, is the perfect place for a small trunk.

See where this is going?

I don't think I'm going to bother keeping the bike completely OEM, rather going the utilitarian route on it. It's nice to have pretty things, but in classic me-ism, Functional is just as pretty as Pretty is. Besides, a mobility device is a tool, right? When's the last time you had your favorite power drill chromed? Exactly.

So, I'm thinking about making sort of a "dresser kit" for the bike... Of course, this will probably require that I use a slightly larger engine, or upgrade the one that's already on it, in the event that I ever want to get on the highway and go faster than 50-55 MPH. That's way in the future, though.

So, as soon as I figure out whether I'm keeping the quad or not, and finish up a couple deals with other people, the bike is coming over, and I get to spend some time working on it. Of course, I want the bags to be DIY as much as possible.

I think I smell a build thread for this one, even though it's going to be a rare- and far-between series.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Christ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post

Since I'll never have anyone on the back of the bike, I can use their leg area for bags. Since that constitutes a seat that is wasted space, I can put a backrest there, instead. Behind the backrest, is the perfect place for a small trunk.

See where this is going?

I don't think I'm going to bother keeping the bike completely OEM, rather going the utilitarian route on it. It's nice to have pretty things, but in classic me-ism, Functional is just as pretty as Pretty is. Besides, a mobility device is a tool, right? When's the last time you had your favorite power drill chromed? Exactly.

So, I'm thinking about making sort of a "dresser kit" for the bike... Of course, this will probably require that I use a slightly larger engine, or upgrade the one that's already on it, in the event that I ever want to get on the highway and go faster than 50-55 MPH. That's way in the future, though.

So, as soon as I figure out whether I'm keeping the quad or not, and finish up a couple deals with other people, the bike is coming over, and I get to spend some time working on it. Of course, I want the bags to be DIY as much as possible.

I think I smell a build thread for this one, even though it's going to be a rare- and far-between series.
I got the CB350F *because* it had an uncool out-of-fashion sissy bar :

(Back-then-brand-new 1990 CRX to the left)

Aesthetically I liked that the sissy bar angle was close to the angle of the front fork.

The accidental-practical part was that I could bungie-strap my backpack or other crap to the sissy bar as needed. You could start with a sissy bar, and use that as a "mount" for different dresser kits that solve different problems. People will think you are a Transformer if the rear of the bike keeps changing.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Christ -

I got the CB350F *because* it had an uncool out-of-fashion sissy bar :

(Back-then-brand-new 1990 CRX to the left)

Aesthetically I liked that the sissy bar angle was close to the angle of the front fork.

The accidental-practical part was that I could bungie-strap my backpack or other crap to the sissy bar as needed. You could start with a sissy bar, and use that as a "mount" for different dresser kits that solve different problems. People will think you are a Transformer if the rear of the bike keeps changing.

CarloSW2
Transformers, they're more than meets the eye...

TRANSFORMERS - They're Honda bikes in disguise!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

TBH, I was thinking about designing/building a dresser setup that also had some aero benefit, or at least a perceived aero benefit. Reason being, I'd love to be able to stick w/ the 185 and still get on the highway reliably, and maybe even make enough aero benefit and increase the torque capacity of the OEM motor (without sacrificing reliability) to hold a decent 60 MPH at lower RPMs.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
cm185t, first ride, honda, startup, twinstar