Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Magazine: Green Car Journal

Hello -

My friend gives me copies of this magazine because he knows I am an MPG nut :

Electric Cars & Hybrid Cars | Green Car .com

It doesn't spend too much time saying what's wrong with the automotive industry. It's focus is to spotlight the good things that are happening. Here are some example articles from the features section :

Preview: 2010 Ford Fiesta for U.S. | Green Car .com

Quote:
Ford Motor Company, responding to customer demand for smaller and more fuel-efficient vehicles, is accelerating its efforts to bring six small vehicles from Ford’s respected European lineup to the North American market sooner than originally planned. To accomplish this, several of Ford’s large assembly plants will be converted from truck and SUV production to build the new-to-America models.

The automaker is banking heavily on its EcoBoost gasoline turbocharged, direct-injection engine technology and engine downsizing to reduce fuel economy by 20 percent and lower CO2 emissions by 15 percent. Plans are to have the capacity to build more than a million North American four-cylinder engines by 2011. ...
Kewet's New Electric City Car | Green Car .com

Quote:
When it comes to promoting the use of battery electric vehicles, Norway is probably the world’s leader. Helping are policies like exemption from road taxes, tolls, and parking fees as well as permitting EVs to drive in bus lanes. The result is that the Th!nk, once planned as a Ford product, is back in production. Now it has a competitor in the form of the Norwegian-built Buddy.

Like the Th!nk that was born in 1991 as the Pivco City Bee, the Buddy has a history that also dates back to that same year, when Knud Erik Westergaard founded Kewet in Denmark to produce the Kewet electric car. In 1995, production was transferred to Nordhausen in the former East Germany. By 1998, Kewet was bankrupt with over a thousand Kewet electric cars and vans built. Rights to the Kewet were acquired in 1999 by Kollega Bil A/S in Norway. With a name change to Elbil Norge AS, it is now offering the improved sixth generation of the model, now simply called the Buddy. It’s aimed initially at the Norwegian market but plans are to distribute the car throughout Europe. ...

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Good info!

I sure hope they bring the Fiesta to the U.S. I had a chance to drive one in Scotland a few years ago, and it was great. If it's anything like the old models, it should perform the task well.

Dorky Vacation Photo: Circa 2004

The 1.4L Ghia 5-Door model was responsive, fun to drive, and relatively efficient. It took a bit of thrashing to keep it up to U.S. speed standards at the time (pre-FE days)

RH77

_
_
Old 02-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
high school

sabre - '02 Buick LeSabre Custom
90 day: 23.45 mpg (US)

frontier - '04 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)
" The automaker is banking heavily on its EcoBoost gasoline turbocharged, direct-injection engine technology and engine downsizing to reduce fuel economy by 20 percent and lower CO2 emissions by 15 percent. "

typo?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
MY EYES! MY EYES!....... LOL ......... I think they are selling the Kewet at Green Cars in Silicon Valley- I saw a very similar one (dark grey) today. Interesting!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Oops - I was way off- Kurrent; not Kewet, I just looked back, not even close. Drives me Krazy!
2007 American Electric Kurrent NEV --Only 40 miles on it!--
Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyP View Post
Fuel efficiency is what every driver is looking for whenever they purchase a car.
REALITY CHECK #101

...while that certainly is a desirable truth, it unfortunately is not the actual truth, else HUMMERS, land-barges and SUV's wouldn't be selling as they do.

...sadly, most american car buyers still believe "...if BIG is good, then BIGGER is BETTER."

...eco-modding is still a "fringe" mindset.

Reply  Post New Thread