Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quick clean up of a template fitting..

I did this before bed, using the image Hersbird posted. Pretty close to most of what I get with the AST-2 template, just a few inches above the tail gate. Looks nice though, added a like 45 degree cut on the end, wonder if that makes a difference as I seen other aerocaps with that design feature.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReRamX1a.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	19542  
The Following User Says Thank You to Vajra For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-25-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
That last photo looks pretty good. Any ideas what you would use for materials?

The Following User Says Thank You to ksa8907 For This Useful Post:
Vajra (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have thought about using foam with some wood, and then fiberglass. Not 100% sure on that yet. I have used foam for RC boat hulls that I glassed over, as well as having glassed balsa. I can use ribs and after it is all glassed, gut the ribs. I have considered strictly wood then sealed and painted. I think foam might be the way to do it since I can shape it easily. It would be very light, strong, insulated if I wish to use it like a camper. I am thinking some back up lights, a interior light, and windows. Any suggestions on build method? Should I go with a flat width roof and more of slanted side, or go from the cab profile, and as I go, reduce the radius from a edge to a curve in back? I have no issues backing up the truck now, but I am thinking a backup camera might be useful, especially for hooking up to a trailer. - Vajra
Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
I would design around construction, as the best shell is the one that gets built. I am currently building a shell for my Toyota Tacoma, using XPS foam and will be fiberglassing over it with epoxy. I am about halfway done, and have a thread going on here if you want to see it.

My suggestion is that if the template lands a few inches higher than your tailgate, just build the shell where it is a few inches higher than your tailgate. On my Tacoma, the template landed 5” higher than the tailgate, so I built my shell to match that profile. I chose to extend my shell a few inches back past the tailgate before I terminated it, but I could have ended it right there, and had a vertical drop from the end of the profile. I still might end up cutting that part off before it is all done. Personally I wouldn’t want it to come down to a razor edge right over the tailgate, you need strength right there. With most lightweight construction methods, you need some vertical height there especially if you are incorporating a window. Also I am going to mount my third brake light right there. You don’t want a curve there, you want a nice clean separation where you want the air to let go.
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
Vajra (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The problem here is the 2" gap should be sealed and you lose the early start to the taper.
Yeah, I misunderstood the problem until I saw the pic- I thought terminating early meant that the template came down onto the bedrails, not that the template went past the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Vajra (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,620 Times in 7,099 Posts

I did this in 1/4" redwood benderboard. It was only to establish the curves and separation point so I use few and thin strips. If you stacked up the 3 1/2" boards and tapered them all together and then 'glassed the whole thing it would look like a canoe.

There would be a lot of edge gluing, but maybe you could lay it up dry and then pull the glass cloth taut before you resin it.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Vajra (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Freebeard, that look might nice, the wood work would look nice is glassed well. Interesting project too.

Aardvarcus, thanks for the insight. I don't want a sharp drop off right above the tailgate, that is why I went a few inches out with the 45 or maybe 30 degree cut off. I figured this would do a few things. First, allow more attachment to further reduce the area. Second, allow any window or aerocap attachments some protection from sun, rain, snow both on the go or stationary. I really like the idea of a camera back there for backing up and hooking up. My trucks butt is so high, I have to use a 14" drop hitch to get the tongue of my cargo trailer "almost" level. Still could go down 2" more. So lights, camera, window, maybe a latch system. I haven't decided if I want the whole aerocap to lift up, or if I want a hatch down the length of the main bed.. I would love to see your build!

Thanks for the reply guys.. please keep the suggestions coming! - Vajra
Old 01-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,620 Times in 7,099 Posts
Gull-wings.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Vajra (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Hey Vajra, Look over this paper and pay real close attention to the chart 4.6.1 on page 85 of the paper (not pdf page). Get 95% of your aero gain and usable space this way. I'll draw something for you later today based on this.

Truck Aero Paper
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-26-2016), Vajra (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Freebeard, Gull-wings? Interesting idea. Like the car and the girl, I'll take both for a test drive please!

ChazInMt - Thank you. That is some pretty interesting studies on the effects. I remember reading some suggested things and looks like 12 degrees is in fact the spot that looks sweet, That would take the curvature on the aerocap to a greater radius and not end with so little above the tailgate. The paper has some very interesting info, I'll have to read the whole thing later this week when I have time to. Thanks for your help! I seen some of your posts and your aerocap! Looks great! - Vajra

Reply  Post New Thread