Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
I have been discussing the options with my wife, she seems to really like the idea of the Pathfinder so far. She is really fond of the idea that it would have the capability to trailer the Jeep too. This next weekend when we are at her parents for Thanksgiving we will take a look at them.

Grand Caravan 17/25, 3600lbs towing.

Ignorance was bliss, if I didn't know as much as I do now it would be easier to choose a vehicle, now that I have the knowledge and skills to build my ideal vehicle, just not the time, I am less satisfied with what is available.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
It's pretty much a matter of setting up a weight-distributing hitch. Some vehicles can use off-the-shelf, others need fabrication.

Below are some lash-ups by CAN AM RV. The TT's weigh from 6k to 9k. All of these vehicles are "rated" much lower.

http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...3&d=1251248118

Jaguar Towing Airstream

Click on and read "Hitch Hints". More of those are online as well.

What Andrew Thomson does is no different than what we did in the 1960's and later. But with greater expertise comes better, more capable set-ups.

There is a very good range of vehicles that can be set up properly. Define for yourself exactly what you would need so far as towing is concerned.

The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
TheEnemy (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

So if I'm reading things right...

1. With a weight distribuion hitch I can handle as much toung weight as the load capacity of the vehicle.

2. As long as I have enough power to pull the trailer through the air.

3. As long as I have enough cooling (particularly on an automatic transmission)

Then I should be fine.

So to be able to smoothly trailer my 3000+ lb Jeep approx 200 hp, upgraded transmission cooler, and trailer brakes?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
Pretty much.

If the load is a construction trailer of cut logs being yanked down Forest Service roads, then obviously we are outside of what many vehicles could do in towing on improved surfaces. With some reasonable restrictions (climate, terrain, road, & load) there is no real reason to confine ourselves to tow vehicles that hurt the pocketbook in every mile of operation towing or solo.

It is the trailer (any type) where help is wanted in making life easier for the TV [tow vehicle] given that opportunity. Low center-of-gravity, torsion axles, disc brakes, virtual pivot point hitch, etc., all of these contribute to making life easier for the operator. That one is using a more economical TV (and likely "safer" vehicle in re road performance) rather well pays for any changes to trailers, for best hitch rigging, brakes, etc.

No trucking firm, for example, expects to use "generic" spec trucks to make a living. The margins are too thin. Very carefully specified components are tailored to carefully studied environment where the work is performed. I say we can do the same: Rural or urban; 24/7 operation or only when chosen; etc, etc, slice away what isn't needed. Most loads don't really change, IOW. We tend to do the same over and over. Under these same conditions keep slicing away the fat via analysis.

Expect that an ATF cooler (possibly also PSF) is required. A wiring kit for a 7-way harness. Best brake controller. Wider wheels and lower aspect tires dependent on vehicle & load. Aftermarket shock absorbers. The best TV's also feature short overhang (rear axle center distance to rear bumper); or why a Yukon is better than a Suburban despite a shorter wheelbase. Etc.

IOW, the vehicle which best suits the operators solo needs and can also tow a given trailer or load is the one to have. Define the towing needs. As Thomson says (roughly paraphrased) "I'd rather have a trailer 6' longer than 1' taller". Aero is crucial. Open versus closed trailers is first cut as the load on the former can have terrible aero.

FWIW, I'm impressed by the Honda Odyssey, solo & TT towing, in what I read. Were I to give up my pickup that van would be on my short list as TV for the TT seen in my signature. I'd start with an e-mail / phone call to Mr Thomson for my TT needs as he will consult.

IMO, use this minivan for your comparisons of all other vehicles as generic good choice in your initial survey.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-19-2012 at 06:09 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

I'm having trouble finding available hitches for different vehicles, went to husky.com.

Nothing I can find for the cars exceeds class 2, and the best MPG for the SUV's and crossovers I can find is the 2013 Pathfinder at 20/26.

I did find the Honda Pilot hybrid funny because it had a disclaimer *not inteded for off road use
Old 11-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
I'd get with Thomson about a specific vehicle hitch (fabrication via plans). We none us once-upon-a-time had pre-made hitches. They were all custom-built.

As before: define the load (height, weight, length). That will "tell" most about what tow vehicle will be adequate given terrain, use, etc (to your satisfaction, not necessarily to the questions in this thread).

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

I test drove the Pathfinder today, gave it a good romp and still got 14mpg (per the OEM display). It should be on par with what I get in my current pickup.

Its basically a beefed up minivan.

The CVT transmission kept the RPM low and steady until I romped it, where after the typical automatic delay the RPM went to something like 3600 and remained steady. Acceleration was smooth and consistant (a bit wierd for the first time). The tires were at 47psi according to the telemetry, even so the ride was smooth without the harshness I have gotten used to at that tire pressure.

Being a larger SUV type vehicle it did wallow about a bit and took quite a few turns on the wheel to get it to manuver sharply. It did not have a lot of body roll and handled the hard manuvering better than my pickup. It did turn significantly better when I was into the gas.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #38 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
I test drove the Pathfinder today, gave it a good romp and still got 14mpg (per the OEM display). It should be on par with what I get in my current pickup.

Its basically a beefed up minivan.
Reasonably-sized real SUVs are gradually being phased out. BTW why not to get a 2nd-gen Ford Explorer and slap a Volkswagen TDI into it?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
I'd test drive a FORD FLEX with the Eco-Boost engine also. That's a powerhouse tow motor.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

Flex with the base 6cyl engine is approx $2000 more, and gets 2mpg less.

My wife and I rode in the back of an explorer shortly after the redesign to make them more stable, and almost threw up because the back end was swaying so badly.

Reply  Post New Thread