Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #71 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
A big THANK YOU to Ken (JethroBodine), Ben (WeatherSpotter) and Tony (arcosine) for making the 2012 Michiana Meet-Up a successful and enjoyable event! It was truly an honor having the guys here with their cars. After watching their modifications being implemented and improved upon here on the forum, it was a real treat to see them in person and put a face and voice with their online persona.

Ben arrived first with the AeroTrix. As he pulled into my driveway, I couldn't help but notice the TEETH! Ha ha! Neither could an elderly neighbor as she drove by; I think she may have wrenched her neck as she passed.

About ten or fifteen minutes later Tony rolled up in his Saturn. Front wheel skirts!? Nice! The closer I looked at his car, the more I was impressed. Belly panel, wheel skirts and boat tails, restructured bumpers. I'm gonna have to check out his mod thread.

Another half an hour and Ken arrived in the FrankenJetta. Wow. All I can say is, the machine does not disappoint when seen in person. Totally awesome.

We wasted little time sticking on some tufts and getting some video. I guess I should have told the guys to forget the P&G for a bit, as it was difficult getting shots when the speeds weren't steady! I posted the video of Kens car in his Bonneville thread.

Here is Bens AeroTrix;

And Tony's smoooooth Saturn;

Then we went out to a quiet country road and did some coast-down testing. We decided to try it from a dead stop at the top of a shallow rise, just for fun. I went first and marked my stopping point at the edge of the road. After I pulled forward, Ben rolled past my mark by several yards. As he was marking his spot, Tony had to go around him, as he apparently hadn't waited long enough before starting his run! Tony beat Ben by several yards, and then Ken pulled up behind with his engine running. "I didn't even make it down the hill", he said. The road flattened out just a bit about halfway down the shallow hill, so his new H-rated tires just couldn't keep him going.

Next we tried a coast down from 55 mph. I stood at the edge of the road to mark the spot for them to begin coasting. Then I jumped back into the Insight and made my run. Ben coasted so far that I almost turned around and started looking for them on a side road, thinking they had turned off! Ben won that one handily, and Ken and I came to a rest pretty much at the same spot at least 3/4 mile behind! (How far behind Ben were you, Tony?)
I don't think any of this coast down stuff really proves anything, but it was fun!

When we got back, Ken started looking for a noise he thought he heard in the suspension. That led to popping the hood and finding an unrelated problem; a leaking fuel injector. We tried to help as much we could, but basically just sat back and let the master diesel mechanic do his thing.

He ended up swapping out the leaking injector with an older injector he had brought with him. We're hoping that will get him to Bonneville, where the VW guru's he's meeting with out there can help him out.

I made some burgers on the grill, and we hung out a bit. Tony had to get on the road to make it home at a decent hour, so we said goodbye and saw him off. It had turned out to be such a warm, humid day, that I elected not to have a bonfire in the fire pit. Instead we stayed inside, in the AC, and talked and watched an episode of Top Gear on Netflix.

The guys left this morning before the sun was up to take advantage of the cooler temps.

Thanks again, guys, for making this such a fun time!

ChazInMT (09-05-2012), myrefugeisintheLord (09-04-2012), UltArc (09-07-2012), Weather Spotter (09-04-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ken sent me a PM looking for a na 1.6 injector last night. I am waiting for a call back from a couple of different shops this morning. If I can find something before he does, I think we can get it overnighted to one of the hotels where some friends of mine have reservations (I've done this once or twice with my own racing, it works well, so long as it's not some motel 6 or something). Stay tuned.

Last edited by metromizer; 09-04-2012 at 12:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to metromizer For This Useful Post:
Tango Charlie (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Trollinsight (Retired) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 68.06 mpg (US)

Redsight - '01 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Carole - '05 Toyota Corolla Xrs
Team Toyota

Brise-Fer - '05 Toyota Echo
Team Toyota
Send a message via MSN to HyperMileQC
It must have been a very nice meet-up! I would like to see this in the ecomodder blog like MetroMPG has said.

I wish the final painting on the FrankenJetta was done on SMCC, it would have more signature.

Very nice pictures and tuft tests videos BTW.

2000 Honda Insight MT Silverstone Metallic #95 (CAN) 131K mi. 81.7 Lmpg
Best Tank : 100.06 MPG (US) | 120.2 MPG (Imp) | 2.35 L/100Km | 42.54 Km/L
Best commute : 130.8 MPG (US) | 157.1 MPG (Imp) | 1.8 L/100Km | 54.84 Km/L
Best Trip : 111.8 MPG (US) | 134.3 MPG (Imp) | 2.1 L/100Km | 47.53 Km/L
Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Nice write up TC

thanks for hosting us for this event, you and your family were very friendly and hospitable to us!

I made it between 2.2 and 2.3 miles on our sloped coast down test. I was at least one curve farther then Tony as I could not see him till he came up along side with the engine on. That is one smooth coasting Saturn!

I got a round trip MPG of 73-74 mp, by far my best long trip MPG! It only took ~50% longer then Google map's freeway route and only about 15% longer then mapping out the back roads I took.

Parking on the street sure was an effective way to slow down traffic
Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Fun fun fun! Did you guys slipstream each other on the freeway? :P
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #76 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Fun fun fun! Did you guys slipstream each other on the freeway? :P
no, there was to much traffic to do anything more then get the video of the testing.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #77 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Parking on the street sure was an effective way to slow down traffic
I've never seen my neighbors drive so slowly past my house! It was great! They usually go flying by...
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #78 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

I had to post a couple pictures on facebook to troll some humorous remarks.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #79 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
they are funny, you need to tell them that there is no duct tape on the car
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #80 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Catching up this AM on recent days' events. Still bummed I couldn't make the meet-up but psyched for everyone else. Thanks a bunch for pics and vids!