View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
But, back to my question. Does anyone know what year will be assigned to a car that is converted to a trike in CA?
Alrighty, I finally dug up the regs are read 'em again.

Whether or not a 3 wheeled Honda is considered a SPCNS is up to your local state ref, so only they would be able to tell whether or not it falls under that program. If it doesn't, obviously it still has the same emissions requirements associated w/ the original vehicle.

If it's considered to be a specially constructed vehicle, and it's one of the first five hundred SPCN vehicles of the year registered, you can choose to have the emissions profile based on the vehicle model year, which would be 1960 since it doesn't sufficiently resemble something already built.

If you're after the first 500 then the emissions profile, then based on what I've read, the emissions profile will be based on the body and the engine, as opposed to just the body or just the engine. So it would still require annual smog checks.

If you really want to avoid smog checks, the easiest way to go IMO is to drop in a drivetrain of the same year or newer that is smog exempt like diesel or electric...