View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #44 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post

I believe in CA a "destruction-to-rebuilt title" would be called a "salvaged title". If so, that is something I could easily accomplish here in CA without having to travel to a different state. A salvaged title is generally issued when a vehicle is considered wrecked beyond repair but someone decides to fix it anyways. Is that how a vehicle typically ends up with a "destruction-to-rebuilt title" in TN?
Yes its also called a salvage title, sorry. The reason I suggested the salvage title out of state is because California is going to care about the engine year because of emissions. So they will look and see you've got a Honda car engine in there and it has to have smog checks. Then they slap you with 2 years, 1 the salvaged car year, 2 the engine year. Emissions is going to look at #2.

Out-of-state, where emissions are not regulated after production, they won't care and will give you one solid title as one year(the one from the salvaged vehicle,rebuilt, whatever).

If you try this in California as far as I can tell from the regulations you listed you'd get slapped with a specialty title and if its not in the first 500 cars you'll get either 2 years(engine, model) or 1(this year) neither of which escapes smog checks.

I guess what waffle is getting at is something I don't thoroughly click with, because as far as my experience it is something thats absurd. But you do live in California, so it might be a reasonable experience there I don't know. Anytime I've been pulled over in a salvage they just yank my registration, license, insurance walk back to their car make sure I'm not warranted for arrest and write me up a ticket.

I'm pretty sure I could have a car straight up registered as a motorcycle and probably get away with it(4 wheels and all). I would have to switch it to 3 tires only and then switch back but. . .as I said its been done.

I revert back to my original notion, switch states and vote for people who oppose those regulations and you don't have to worry about it. If thats not an option I'd try the salvage out of state. If thats not possible I'd try in state.