Thread: Ben's Citicar
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #117 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I must have a weird Citicar.

All of the battery configurations I have ever seen are sort of a "swastika" pattern - 4 batteries, each turned 90 degrees and offset by the width of a battery.

Two of these patterns, side by side under the seat in a Citicar or front and back battery boxes in the Commutacar, give you 8 batteries time 6volts = a 48v total pack using 6v batts.

My car has the batteries under the seat. It also has the motor under there! The two battery trays each measure 15" by 18" - not enough room to fit size 6v batteries, and only enough room for TWO of my 7"x13" gel batteries.

That means I can still get 48 volts, but at only 100AH instead of 220ah - only half the range of the intended vehicle. And that's if I had new batteries, I know my used gel batteries aren't as good.

I have one group 24 flooded trolling motor battery kicking around. Those are about 7"x10".
If I turn one of the gels at a right angle to the other, I can have it stick an inch over the front edge of the battery box, that leaves enough room to add the other gel battery AND the group 24 flooded both at the same time. The group 24 flooded is a 95ah battery, so it's almost the exact same capacity as the gels.

I THINK I can fit 4 gels & 2 flooded in the seat of the Citicar.

There is also a smaller single battery tray in front of the motor that appears to be designed as space for a group 24 battery for 12V accessory use. I could either put a full-size 12v battery there for headlights, etc, OR I could possibly use that space for the PWM controller and main and reversing contactor.

I would only have to buy two group 24 flooded batteries to make this all work. (The one group 24 I have is bad.)

That would make a 100ah times 72V pack. 7200 watt-hours. Still wouldn't be a huge range, but better than what I have.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos