View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
this portion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestDrive View Post
I basically agree, but suspect the solution is more complicated than a single change. In the case of better drivers, the question is what laws/regulations should be enacted to produce them.

Awareness is the crux of the matter, but may be the most difficult change to implement.

The later half of the report had some similar suggestions regarding speed.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned it thus far, but I also find this portion of the report agreeable.
TestDrive,I've got some gleanings that I'll pull together.Speed limits and safety was a real hot-button issue in the late-80s,early 90s.It's been a very politicized issue.Speed limits,traffic fatalities,enforcement,fuel economy,air quality,national debt,global competitiveness,capital formation,savings rate,mandated safety equipment,actual traffic statistics,EPA,NHTSA,DOT,Treasury Dept.,DOD,Federal Reserve,American Automobile Mfgr's Assoc.,International Automobile Mfrgs Assoc.,Police Depts.,it goes on and on and ad infinitum,all players in the screenplay.--- Lots of data.Many special interest groups.Many questionable motives.Many agendas.Egos,ignorance,context.It's all in there.Shakespeare would love it! If you can hang on I'll pull it together.