Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
INone,not one of these people factored,or even thought of factoring the safety of the US military overseas,or civilians in Iran,Iraq,or Afganistan with respect to US reliance (about 70% now) on foreign oil,much of which comes from areas known to be hostile towards the US.
And why should they? Those things have relevance to oil only insofar as oil finances the current generation of jihadists. Wave a magic wand and move the oil to Australia or somewhere, and the biggest change would be that the rulers would go back to riding camels & living in tents, instead of driving Rolls-Royces & Ferraris, and building their own private islands.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I can't imagine that a politician or person related to a field of politics might ignore the safety of people overseas...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
I want to see single vehicle crash test data.....

Data that actually matters...
Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
How about actual crash data averaged to equalize use. That pretty much tells you an overall chance of getting killed in a given car.

IIHS REPORT: The Risk of Death While Driving Different Vehicles

Quote:
The model with the highest death rate of all — the two-door, two-wheel-drive Chevrolet Blazer with 308 driver deaths per million registered years — also had the highest rollover death rate (251 per million).

Old 04-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
How about actual crash data averaged to equalize use. That pretty much tells you an overall chance of getting killed in a given car.
Also, remember that we're talking about overall death rates here. So even assuming grossly-oversized-SUV-X is safer for the people riding in it, how many people in the vehicle(s) that it hit were killed, who would not have been if hit by say a Geo Metro?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Awareness is the crux of the matter, but may be the most difficult change to implement.
Awareness, I'll admit, is difficult to change but look at something just as big like smoking and tobacco. With time and attention to the right details, and information, and truth to the public they start to get it. Remove the "fashion" element of horsepower and speed. Slowly, over time as not to shock or scare anyone into rebellion. Already, by pushing the eco/green idea things seem to be catching on with the general public. They need to understand that they can truly help just by driving with greater attention, no distractions, less speed and drive smaller cars.

Is their any data on horse and buggy related deaths before automobiles?
Chances are it would be proportionality similar.

Last edited by doviatt; 04-30-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
The data I listed showed the driver's chance of getting killed, Passengers, and others.

It showed that trucks had a much higher chance of killing other people but also had a high chance of killing the driver and passengers.

I think the corolla and a few other cars were in the least likely to die category and least likely to kill other people as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
this portion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestDrive View Post
I basically agree, but suspect the solution is more complicated than a single change. In the case of better drivers, the question is what laws/regulations should be enacted to produce them.

Awareness is the crux of the matter, but may be the most difficult change to implement.

The later half of the report had some similar suggestions regarding speed.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned it thus far, but I also find this portion of the report agreeable.
TestDrive,I've got some gleanings that I'll pull together.Speed limits and safety was a real hot-button issue in the late-80s,early 90s.It's been a very politicized issue.Speed limits,traffic fatalities,enforcement,fuel economy,air quality,national debt,global competitiveness,capital formation,savings rate,mandated safety equipment,actual traffic statistics,EPA,NHTSA,DOT,Treasury Dept.,DOD,Federal Reserve,American Automobile Mfgr's Assoc.,International Automobile Mfrgs Assoc.,Police Depts.,it goes on and on and ad infinitum,all players in the screenplay.--- Lots of data.Many special interest groups.Many questionable motives.Many agendas.Egos,ignorance,context.It's all in there.Shakespeare would love it! If you can hang on I'll pull it together.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestDrive View Post
I basically agree, but suspect the solution is more complicated than a single change. In the case of better drivers, the question is what laws/regulations should be enacted to produce them.

The later half of the report had some similar suggestions regarding speed.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned it thus far, but I also find this portion of the report agreeable.
TestDrive,I've worked this last week compiling data from my archive.The task of isolating speed as a single variable with respect to "safety" has been fraught with many challenges.-------------- While speed is a critical factor,it's role is not taken in a universally-referenced datum.There is a lot of room to "cook the books" when using speed or any other variable in discussions of crash safety,and it must be continually considered within a context.------------- You would be interested in "Physics and Automobile Safety Belts," published by U.S.Dept.of Transportation and National Highway Traffic Administration,available from U.S.Govt.Printing Office.Mine is a 1977 printing,$1.90.It's a 73-page pamphlet and has all the Physics used by investigators,both in the lab and field investigations and reconstructions of actual vehicle collisions.------------- The treasure-trove is "International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles",Report,published each year by U.S.DOT and NHTSA.I don't have anything more current than 1986 and it runs to 1,218 pages.------------- Inside the 1986 printing is a study which mirrors the piece shared by Doax: "Car Size and Safety:Results From Analyzing U.S.Accident Data",by Leonard Evans,Transportation Research Dept.,General Motors Research Labs.,9-pages.From the Abstract,in a single-car crash,the unbelted driver of a 900 kg car is about 2.6 times more likely to be killed as is the unbelted of an 1,800 kg car.------- For Two-car crashes,the driver of a 900 kg car crashing into another 900 kg car is about 2.0 times as likely to be seriously or fatally injured as is the driver of an 1,800 kg car.When a 900 kg car and a 1,800 kg car crash head-on,the driver of the 900 kg car is about 14 times as likely to be killed as the driver of the 1,800 kg car.The actual number of drivers killed in small-car crashes is "paradoxically",less than for the large-car crashes when normalized for numbers of cars and driver age.------- The data set included all fatal traffic crashes since Jan. 1,1975.---------------- A 1977 study concluded that cars are not unsafe simply because they were small(light).Small cars had no higher frequency of serious or fatal injury.In California,where 40% of cars are "small" traffic fatalities were down 22% in 1974,and 16% in 1975.-------- In 1985,in the 35-mph crash barrier test,the GM Pontiac Fiero scored the highest crash safety score ever achieved.------ At 2,000 pounds,the Fiero was safer than Cadillac Seville,Volvo 760,Mercury Cougar,Ford LTD,Dodge 600,Ford Thunderbird,Mercedes 300SL,Mercury Marquis, Chrysler LeBaron,Oldsmobile 98,Chevy Impala amd Lincoln Continental.---------- Auto design and safety gear continues to evolve.Seatbelt use remains below 100%(my aunt's physician killed herself in a single-car rollover because she couldn't be bothered wearing her 3-point safety belt).Drunk driving,substance abuse,fatigue,glare,cell-phones,GPS,i-phones,car audio,hair care,cosmetics,etc.remain factors.---------- 60% of collisions in N.Y.City are at "controlled" intersections.Traffic light synchronization isn't even mentioned by "safety" engineers,except for oblique comments about "planning."--------- It's a can of worms.-------- Out of respect to MetroMpg I won't even say what I think about it all.---------- Speed limits are a highly politicized issue.Countless special interest groups are involved.Regulators,lobbyists,American Trial Lawyers,oil and car industry-funded "consumer" interest groups,State treasuries,federal treasury,Pentagon,State Dept.,EPA------- it just goes on and on.Easily a masters thesis or doctoral dissertation.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
Small cars can mean big bills

Reply  Post New Thread