Thread: Eco-Shaving?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Eddles
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisJim View Post
Why shave??
Maybe because most women hates kissing men with stubble/beards as it hurts...? Once, after a day of growth, I accidentally rubbed my chin on my shoulder and it was extremely uncomfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilden View Post
Just wondering, how close a shave do you guys seem to get from an electric shaver (my fiance insinists that I have it smooth)? I've been using a manual blade with the disposable heads for years but only just realised how expensive it really is. I think it's time to invest in an electric, probably a cheapo one. Any suggestions?
Dry electric ones aren't all that hot to be honest. They do a reasonable job but isn't *that* smooth - you can feel slight roughness. I have sensitive skin for shaving, so after 5 mins of shaving with a dry shaver, I have a bright red neck for a hour or so. For me, wet razors are the smoothest, and hurts only slightly and my neck reddens for 15 minutes (no, I'm not a redneck...). I've got an wet electric shaver and while it's smoother than the dry electric, it's not as smooth as the wet razor, but nearly there. It also hurts the least, I rarely get the red irritation.

I tend to shave with the wet electric every day, and wet razor once every two weeks. An unexpected bonus was that straight after shaving with the wet razor caused my ex to be all over my face for a while which was quite nice! Do keep on using the wet razor once in a while as a treat for your g/f. I use an old Gillette Sensor razor as they give the exact same result as the Sensor Excel, all of the Mach razors and, I assume, the OTT Fusion razors. I've tried out disposable razors, and other razors with replaceable heads but for me, the Sensor razor is the best modern razor that gives a good balance between cost and effectiveness. Of course, this might not be the same for you.

However, my wet shaver requires a gel cartridge that needs to be replaced each week which isn't too environmentally friendly. I've read that some people with my wet shaver use normal shaving gel instead of the cartridge. I tried that once and it seemed to work, but not as good. I should do this instead as the can is recycleable, while the cartridges aren't.

If you do get one, try not to drop your electric shaver though, they're not too tough - I once accidentally knocked my old dry razor off the bath edge and the plastic head smashed. Not too impressed!

I do want to try out the old safety razors but still a little nervous about trying those out, especially no-one will be able to show me how to use it, or phone an ambulance for me in case of an accident...

Getting to the point of this post, I agree with everyone else, that you should give the old safety razor a try first before plumbing for an electric. I don't know about costs, though.

At the end of the day, everyone is different, and different things work for different people.

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km