View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Funny
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
But you don't get to decide if your actions do, or have the potential to, "hurt" anyone else or not. i.e. You may think you should be able to smoke in the maternity ward, but that doesn't make it so.
I want to meet the guy who wants to, because he would get beaten to a pulp. That is interrupting someone else's freedom. If that same guy wants to smoke in his car on the freeway with his windows down, more power to him.

Quote:
re: potential, Just because you have the money and resources to develop anthrax in your garage doesn't mean you should not be lynched if you choose to do so.
Who would want to develop anthrax in their garage unless it was for malicious purposes, why would they make it for giggles?

Quote:
So "hurt" is a matter of degree. There is no action you can take that does not have an effect. Obviously there are extremely innocuous actions (I'm flapping my arms right now) with nearly 1/infinity chance of doing anyone an injustice, but you get my meaning. We are all in this together, like it or not, that much you don't get to choose.
Your flapping is offensive, I am calling my lawyer right now. Kidding, but actions that effect other people are plain, not innocuous. The fact that gas guzzling SUVs are still sold means that consumption by that individual is effecting the quantity of gasoline available to the rest of us. They are paying for that privilege at the pump. Air quality controls are in place on engines and most states test emissions on vehicles. I really have no closer on this evaluation of your opinion, but you are of an independent mindset, and I laud you for it. Next naysayer please!