View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Another possible engine/tranny swap would be to use the 50 hp/74 ft-lbs unit from the diesel version of the Smart fourtwo. That's what's being used in the current version of the Avion, an automotive X-prize contender that's getting well over 100 mpg.
That was my second thought when I was reading this thread. My first thought was the 1.4 3-cyl turbodiesel that VAG used in the VW Lupo and Polo, the SEAT Arosa, the Skoda Fabia and the particularly efficient Audi A2. Fantastic little engine that and makes 75bhp/144 lb-ft, or even 88bhp/170 lb-ft in later models, and was capable of 80-ish mpg (in UK gallons). Not sure how light it is, and to be frank availability in the States probably isn't it's strong suit, so the diesel smart unit is probably a more realistic idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soycory View Post
what about a motorcycle engine?
Typically, small-capacity motorcycle engines lack torque (naturally, with the clue being small-capacity) so whilst on power they might seem adequate, and in a light motorcycle they might use barely any fuel, in a heavier car they end up having to be worked much harder to get anywhere and achieving poorer fuel figures as a result. They're only really suitable for very light kit-car projects and similar.