View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
slurryguy
EcoModding Lurker

Feel free to do whatever you feel is appropriate.

For what it's worth, my recommendation is to not use any motor that doesn't have a bearing in it's own end plate. I was afraid that this one might have the bearing buried inside the pump, but you can't know for sure until you get the thing apart.

This size of motor is extremely plentiful. This particular motor has given you a good introductory education. You'll probably save time and money by taking another trip to a Lift Salvage Yard and trying to find another ugly rusty treasure. Sometimes the best decisions in life are picking your battles and knowing when to walk away.

Now that you've educated yourself somewhat, you have a much better idea what to look for when scrounging around a salvage yard. The best bargains are the motors with two good bearings, a nice long keyed drive shaft, good brushes, no signs of burnt copper, and lots of disgusting dirt, rust, grime, and grunge. The dirtier and more crappy the general appearance of the motor the cheaper it will be.

It appears to be about a 4.5 incher (+/-). You'd be surpised how many of these size motors can be had for nothing, or almost nothing. Many don't need any new components. They simply need a really good cleaning and maybe a short spin on the lathe for the commutator.

The ugly dirty motors that have all the important internal parts can usually get haggled down to whatever the going rate is for the price of the scrap metal, maybe a little extra just to make it worth the yard owner's time to sell it to you.

That said... your time is yours. If you want to custom machine an end cap with a bearing, be my guest. Be sure to post pictures, it would be fun to see what you come up with.

Best Wishes.

Last edited by slurryguy; 05-19-2009 at 04:36 PM..