View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
COLD! C.V.T. Analysis.

For those in the Northern Plains of the U.S. and in middle-Canada, I sympathize.

RH77 reporting on-location in Sioux City, Iowa.

Tonight, the low is expected to dip to -15F, which makes vehicle operation, "interesting" -- and definitely not efficient. The vehicle I was assigned is equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission. When it warmed-up to +10F today, it was able to operate efficiently, but from a cold soak at 0-deg F, it has a tough time. Better gloves were required.

From a cold-start and go, the CVT keeps revs high, and makes it very inefficient; however, once warmed, driving at a variety of speeds from 30-70 MPH, RPMS are 1300-2000. This is the key to it's efficiency. When it was first started, I thought the parking brake was stuck, but that's the nature of the super-cold CVT. Driving slowly to warm-up didn't translate into low RPMs.

More on the vehicle later, the Nissan Rogue 2.5 S AWD is CVT only and is the more-efficient contender in this small-SUV/Crossover class (based on the Sentra). SG results will be inaccurate due to temps and shorter distances, but an idea can be gained.

I'm told that this cold-snap has been consistent and relentless up North. Has this effected your FE?

RH77

_
_