View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #146 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Concrete, I'm only looking at consumer fuel costs in this post here, not maintenance or taxes for defence budgets or any other funny business. And you do not acknowledge the role of inertia in the market place. It takes gas going over $4 because that is what it takes to get enough attention to get a noticable number of consumers to change, because they arent sitting around the dinner table with their calculators and doing energy source analysis fretting about the cost per mile all the time waiting to react by dumping their old cars. In some ways it is a good thing, imagine the race to the bottom every product would suffer if consumers were paying that much attention to everything

P.S. That site did not load correctly under ubuntu/firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Rogers View Post
Prius engine at 29% efficiency............48.2 mpg (at 60 mph)
Prius electric at 70% efficiency...........3.42 miles per kWh

All other characteristics are the same.

At $2 /gallon..............$0.041 /mile
at $0.10 /kWh.............0.029 /mile

Relative costs: 1.4 times.

Didn't we already go through this? Ernie Rogers
Based on data from 2007 analysis I came up with $0.09 /kWh for electricity and ~$0.25/kwh for gasoline consumer (at the pump/wall) costs. So that gasoline is 2.8 times more expensive for the same amount of energy at the wall/pump.

Then you have to factor in the reduced efficiency of the ice, so you will only go 3/7s as many miles with that gasoline, that cost 2.8 times as much as the same amount of energy in electricity (again, consumer cost at the pump/wall).

So really, just in terms of consumer costs per mile at the wall/pump, we are looking at gasoline being 6.5 times more expensive than electricity mile for mile in 2007.

Am I missing something significant here?

Last edited by dcb; 05-21-2009 at 11:03 AM..