View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #147 (permalink)
Ernie Rogers
Ernie Rogers

You like electric cars

Hello, DC,

You like electric cars-- I do too.

Yes, you did miss something. I went back to the source of the calculation of $0.25 per kWh of gasoline. That calculation had included an ICE efficiency of 33%. I think you can back that out and then complete your calculation as you did and you will have a good result, based on 2007 energy prices.

So, the cost per kWh of gasoline that you should have used is--

$0.25 x 0.33 = $0.0825.

Okay, finish the calculation. (I got a factor of 2.14, favoring the EV, based on 2007 prices.)

Ernie Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
<SNIP>

Based on data from 2007 analysis I came up with $0.09 /kWh for electricity and ~$0.25/kwh for gasoline consumer (at the pump/wall) costs. So that gasoline is 2.8 times more expensive for the same amount of energy at the wall/pump.

Then you have to factor in the reduced efficiency of the ice, so you will only go 3/7s as many miles with that gasoline, that cost 2.8 times as much as the same amount of energy in electricity (again, consumer cost at the pump/wall).

So really, just in terms of consumer costs per mile at the wall/pump, we are looking at gasoline being 6.5 times more expensive than electricity mile for mile in 2007.

Am I missing something significant here?