View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Civic DX-VP, Insight, or ???

Well, the need of a new(er) car will be in order soon. The plan is to keep Teggy around as a good third car, but we need another sedan in the lineup.

We're thinking new, but used isn't out. We're keeping cars quite longer now, though. I'm having a tough time finding low-mileage used Hondas, plus financing is better on new.

As you may know, Honda has earned our trust over the last 5 vehicles and 12 years, so that's where we would like to stay.

The requirements: at least 40 mpg with mild Eco-Driving, A/C, auto (my Wife chooses not to learn standard -- it's non-negotiable), and 4-doors/5-passenger.

Fit Sport: Noted to be fun to drive yet handy. To get A/C though, you have to upgrade to the Sport. Then another $250 for a center armrest (FTW?) and it's up to about $18K. Grumble...

Civic DX-VP: More features, A/C, a touch higher on price, but no hatch. Hmmm...

Insight LX: A hybrid of my own is intriguing, but $20K is steep. The 5-door design and utility + higher FE is even more appealing. Will tax credits and FE offset that price? Plus to get cruise control, you have to go up to an EX! Forget that -- Argh! I don't use cruise anyway, but for the rare occasion...

I know we ask every day, but what happened to the stripped-down ecoboxes of yore? A base model with added A/C and Auto for $15K, or even the option to add stuff a la carte would be nice. I should be thinking Kia or Hyundai, but it's outside of our comfort zone.

The old Civic Wagon comes to mind as what I'm looking for.

The question: has anyone driven these vehicles as a comparison? I've rented the new Civic for work and liked it quite a lot, but the others -- no basis for comparison yet. The local dealer had an Insight tucked away out back, but it's probably sold. The Fit would be easy to find/drive.

Any thoughts?

RH77

_
_