View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Eddles -

Rats. I wish there were a "tyrerack.co.uk" for you.

I googled around, and I think the terminology would be "high pressure valve stems" :

SELECTING PROPER VALVE HARDWARE - May 6, 2002
http://www.techtirerepairs.com/tech_...0Issue%202.pdf

But, the above might not work if the *size* of the higher PSI valve stem is not compatible. I just don't know.

Let's wait for CapriRacer to chime in, he has the expert knowledge.

CarloSW2
Here's the problem from my perspective:

1) If you are planing on using more than 60 psi in a passenger car tire - well, I'm already on record as recommending against this.

2) But if you are still determined to do it, then I feel obligated to give you advice to do this safely: Please use high pressure valves as indicated above. The problem will be at the retail store end.

They are going to look at you kind of cross eyed, because the valves they use are appropriate for all uses - except high pressures, which is when they'll use valves for light trucks ( meaning LT metric tires) - and they might not be the correct size.

So I would suggest you buy and mount your own valves.

First take the assembly in and have the tires dismounted. Using a knife or razorblade, cut off the old valve (if it is an all rubber valve, which you will find out very quickly!). Then replace the valve with this:

You should be able to find it at any car parts place that has tire stuff. It's designed for chrome wheels and will accommodate both size valve holes. It's a screw-in, so you shouldn't have any trouble installing it.

Then return to the tire shop to mount your new tires. They won't mess with the new valves, because they'll be chrome - and of course you will have told them not to!

For those with TPMS's - and I recommend retaining the device as a good safety feature - this gets a bit more complicated - beyond my ability to know all the possibilities. Sorry.