View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Disagree.

Manufacturers just have to get outside the 20s for mpg and they are in the clear. Most cars out there on average get from 23-25 mpg. So a 10mpg improvement to 35 highway is enough to get most buyers hook line and sinker.

Its much easier to market safety as a reason their car is superior to someone else's than it is to market FE. Honestly, if two manufacturers only key quality between why buy our car over their car is FE and its the same. . .then its a true toss up which car they buy.

Seriously I have argued which car for people to buy for months with other people and pointing out it gets 5 mpg better stock is not anything of a critical point. That discussion lasts literally seconds and then its back to looks, acceleration, interior styling, longevity. . .so on. Why would auto manufacturers spend ANY time on FE when most people only consider it if you have 2 civics perfectly identical and one gets better economy. Thats how it is for most people. Arguing they are actually even thinking about FE at all is off base.

If they were, the chassis would be aluminum, the engine, trans everything would be aluminum it would have a liter(ish) volume, it would seat 4 very uncomfortably it would not have any safety features other than frontal airbags and seat belts, it would not have any hybrid features and it would weigh 1600 lbs and get 70 mpg stock.

There are obviously none of those cars out there so obviously the manufacturers aren't interested.

Cars will get somewhat better FE in the future but not markedly.

Moral. . .if you like one get it. If you don't like it don't get it.

Second moral. . .if you negotiate the dealer down to 12K for a Fit auto. . .the only time you're going to get something new cheaper thats better on FE might be if you get a Kia and thats because you can start off at 10K and negotiate down lol.

Its about as cheap as its going to get and FE is not going to get alarmingly better in the next 18 months. . .besides if you negotiate down to 12K you aren't going to find any of those for that. They are NEW models and won't budge down off the sticker. Trust me I had lots of dealer friends when I worked in collections. First year models don't go below sticker unless the dealer is desparate.