View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
McTimson
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 40.6 mpg (US)
I forgot to include myself in this thread - I bought one myself, and installed it on the passenger side of my Tercel.

I installed it vertically, and so far, its' use has been, if I see any part of a car in it, I can't move into the right lane. I really don't parallel park, at all, but it looks like it would be very useful for that.

I installed it the same way as Sean T. did, flipped the mount backwards and screwed it in.

So, my entire family was over last weekend for some birthday celebrations, and we got into talking about my car, and about the legality of not having a side mirror, because it pretty much looks like I don't have a side mirror installed. One of my older brothers is an NYPD officer, and another is a part-time sheriff. My NYPD brother deals with drug offenses all the time, and said that if he had probable cause on somebody, the lack of a side mirror would absolutely be a reason for him to pull them over. And, both of them said that they would pull over and ticket people who are missing side mirrors, even though NY law says that you only need 1 side mirror, and 1 interior mirror. And, they said that if they saw that tiny mirror on another car, they'd probably pull them over, because it really does look like there's no mirror at all.

So, even though the law says you might not need one, be prepared to be pulled over if you try using this mirror, or especially if you're not using a side mirror at all.