Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You could use Great Stuff or other spray-can urethane foam (sandable and paintable) to fair that mirror into the lines of the vehicle, for even less drag and turbulence.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)
I forgot to include myself in this thread - I bought one myself, and installed it on the passenger side of my Tercel.

I installed it vertically, and so far, its' use has been, if I see any part of a car in it, I can't move into the right lane. I really don't parallel park, at all, but it looks like it would be very useful for that.

I installed it the same way as Sean T. did, flipped the mount backwards and screwed it in.

So, my entire family was over last weekend for some birthday celebrations, and we got into talking about my car, and about the legality of not having a side mirror, because it pretty much looks like I don't have a side mirror installed. One of my older brothers is an NYPD officer, and another is a part-time sheriff. My NYPD brother deals with drug offenses all the time, and said that if he had probable cause on somebody, the lack of a side mirror would absolutely be a reason for him to pull them over. And, both of them said that they would pull over and ticket people who are missing side mirrors, even though NY law says that you only need 1 side mirror, and 1 interior mirror. And, they said that if they saw that tiny mirror on another car, they'd probably pull them over, because it really does look like there's no mirror at all.

So, even though the law says you might not need one, be prepared to be pulled over if you try using this mirror, or especially if you're not using a side mirror at all.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTimson View Post
if they saw that tiny mirror on another car, they'd probably pull them over, because it really does look like there's no mirror at all.
Just because it looks like the mirror isn't there doesn't mean it really isn't. There is nothing that can stop a cop from pulling you over, but you still have a fighting chance if you explain that you only need one exterior mirror, but you actually have two. Once you're stopped, he can have a close look and see that there really is a mirror there. Sure, it's hard for some people to admit they were wrong, especially people with authority, so you may have to fight it out in court. Once you have ruling in your favor you should be untouchable. Until you mod something else.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)
Right, in the long run, especially if it's brought to court, you can definitely get out of the ticket. But getting pulled over can be annoying, and if somebody doesn't have the right attitude, it can lead to tickets for other things as well. Some people can hold themselves when they get pulled over, other people flip out and call them names for pulling them over. The small mirror is basically a 'red flag', giving police more incentive to pull you over, and it's just something that you would need to be prepared for.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Cops get so bored not catching real criminals that they're certainly looking for excuses. I'm good at getting pulled over, but I've been pulled over so much (for things I got ticketed for and not) that I'm used to dealing with the police. I'm carrying all NY laws applicable to my mods on a piece of paper. I haven't been stopped for mods... YET. I know it will happen. I've seen all those "don't talk to the police, whatever you do" videos on youtube, and although that is useful information everyone should know, I don't think it's really necessary if you absolutely know you're in the right. You don't have to suck up to whomever pulls you over, but don't be gruff either - it doesn't do anything. As much as I hate cops, I suppose they're people too, and aren't going to respond well to someone who is hostile before they even speak to them. Yes, pulling someone over for no reason or a bad reason could be taken as hostile, but be the better person, and calmly ask what they want and explain concisely. If they are obviously just looking for something and wasting your time, this is unreasonable search and seizure, and you are most definitely allowed to ask "are you going to detain me/issue a ticket, officer? Because I'd like to be on my way."

About the side mirror thing (especially in New York State) - I know I'm not going to be doing anything else to get police attention except driving slowly, and I've been stopped for that before and came out legally and otherwise unscathed. If I were to be stopped SOLELY for the side mirror, I've got that piece of paper to cite from, and also that there are two cars that I can name off the top of my head (Metro XFi, older VW bugs) that came stock with one side view mirror. I think I could win that argument with any cop. I've considered keeping a little voice recorder in the car for occasions like this to keep smokey honest, but I haven't personally run into too many horrific cops - 1 in 6 maybe.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
If I was a cop I would be pissed off at the world too.

Check out THESE!!!

ADJUSTABLE BLACK CASE RECTANGULAR MOTORCYCLE MIRROR FOR YAMAHA : JC Whitney: Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Expect pictures!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Flying Brick - '96 Pontiac Bonneville SE
90 day: 23.57 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to QuickLTD Send a message via Yahoo to QuickLTD
I dont think any police officer will care if the right side mirror is missing.. As observant as they are I dont think they would even notice in most cases. They have more important things to worry about. Many cars only came with one mirror way into the 80's anyway.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Flander - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
90 day: 25.85 mpg (US)
Some of the "base" model cars didn't have a passenger side mirror, even up to the mid 90's. It would be better if you can find mirrors that attach to the outer edge of the mirror not the top.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Audi - '05 Audi S4
90 day: 17.82 mpg (US)

Saturn - '01 Saturn SC SOHC
90 day: 46.81 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

excellent finds!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't see how you can use a mirror like that. The image is so small, you'd need to look, focus, and think before you figure out what you're seeing.

Reply  Post New Thread