View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I think the most efficient way to get 16v is two 8V golf cart batteries. A 14.5v power supply with enough amps to run everything would be pretty pricey. I found a 25A one for $100 new. (no budget for it at the moment) Although that would be cheaper than the two batteries, It would not be enough to run everything. I should really run the fuel pump (for better, or at least stock vaporization) and the coil (for hotter spark) off something with higher voltage.

My interim duct tape solution was to run a 50 amp battery charger off an inverter powered by my 2 12V deep cycles. It worked ok but I'm worried it may overcharge the starting battery. I guess since alternators run at 14.5 this would also eventually overcharge a starting battery but the opposite is often true with many batteries failing from undercharging and stratification.

I had a bad front caliper that was dragging which I just replaced so it will be interesting to see if my numbers change much. My coast down seems better now. Previous to the discovery, my FE seemed to drop through the course of a long trip which I first attributed to the slow voltage drop of the batteries but this may have been the rotor heating up slowly and thus increasing the drag on that bad caliper.

I have been a bad ecomodder and have not been keeping track of my mileage partly due to the frustration of my slowly worsening mileage. The discovery and repair of the dragging caliper has given me some optimism to get back at it.

I also want to address the back of the van where I have been told most of my aero drag resides.

By the way, I halved the opening delay and noticed no difference in the readings. The FE was still much improved over the 12 battery bank. The half reading was a guess but I thought if it made a difference it would be a good starting point to see if it made any difference

I still have not done much in the way of actual tank readings though due to not having a reliable, simple set up yet.

Good to hear from you and good luck.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.