View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #141 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Hi Matt,

I think you meant to say that the Gen 2 Prius can be operated EV up to fourteen mph?

If I can fit in the Gen 3 comfortably, then it will be quite tempting, though the iQ is also looking sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Its generally accepted that it is possible to drive the Gen 2 up into the mid 30s fairly easily. Above that, it becomes very hard to not kick in the ICE. Speeds up to 41 mph have been reported, but I don't think you can do it very easily at all.

People have reported the Gen 3 is much roomier and has increased head room.
Neil,

What I'm referring to is "EV mode" or all-battery operation which is available in the Gen II up to 41 mph as long as you are up to temp (160 degrees+) and the battery is at least 30% full and not more than 80% full...normal EV mode in the Prius. Some people call it "stealth mode" or "EV coast."

In the Gen III (the new 2010's) EV mode is now available up to 46 mph (with the same temp and SOC restrictions). This is a HUGE difference with the extra mph to be able to be in EV mode using only the battery to operate the car. For me, because most of my commute is on 45 mph road to work, EV mode up to 46 mph would be a major increase in FE...I'm talking 4-5 mpg major increase.

Daox,

EV mode is actually very easy to keep the ICE from kicking in under 41 mph with a feather foot (I had it figured out after just a couple days in my Prius...with the help of my SGII). On flat ground you can actually increase speed in EV mode with a feather foot. On a decline I often have to take my foot off the go pedal to not pick up too much speed and go over 41 mph.