Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #131 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I generally plug in for 1 hr in summer, 3 hrs in winter. I wouldn't keep it plugged in.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I generally plug in for 1 hr in summer, 3 hrs in winter. I wouldn't keep it plugged in.
Sounds easy enough...can just plug it in a couple hours before I depart so it's nice and toasty!

I'm going to do some looking around near my parking space at home to see if there are any hidden outlets lurking. There are quite a few garages that are rented by residents that I'm sure how some sort of power in the garage (I know they have lights in the garages...rpob have outlets too). Maybe if I make a new friend and flip them a couple bucks they will let me use their power (even though my living community does not charge for electric use in the garages...$5 a month should be more than enough to power the EBH over the course of a month).
Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #133 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Matt -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
Sounds easy enough...can just plug it in a couple hours before I depart so it's nice and toasty!

I'm going to do some looking around near my parking space at home to see if there are any hidden outlets lurking. There are quite a few garages that are rented by residents that I'm sure how some sort of power in the garage (I know they have lights in the garages...rpob have outlets too). Maybe if I make a new friend and flip them a couple bucks they will let me use their power (even though my living community does not charge for electric use in the garages...$5 a month should be more than enough to power the EBH over the course of a month).
You could use one of those at-the-plug timer-thingys to turn it on. That way you won't have to walk out and turn it on before you leave work. Sometimes work gets hectic and you forget or don't have the chance to do it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I also posted this over at priuschat to get their impressions but I wanted to drop it here too to see what you guys think. I called my Toyota head mechanic today to get his impressions on an oil change and EBH install on my Prius...here's the post from priuschat I posted:

In anticipation of my first oil change at 5k miles (I'm at 3k right now) I wanted to pick the brain of my dealership head mechanic to see if this guy is the one I want maintaining my vehicle down the road. He was very patient answering all of my questions and even more patient when I pressed him for his thoughts on the following two topics. Let me know what you think...

#1 Oil Change - I told him I wanted to know what oil they use on a standard Prius oil change and that I would be interested in using Mobil 1 Syn 0w20. The dealership uses Valvoline 5w30 as their standard choice of oil for the Prius.

He said "because of impact loading especially at starts and stops that the 0w20 is not recommended for the Prius." He even went as far to say that if there was ever any engine problems with my car that a lookup of past maintenance noting the use of 0w20 that my warranty could be affected (this was one area I pressed him hard about because it lit a fire under my tail...these guys will do anything to void a warranty...ridiculous). He said that using any oil not recommended by Toyota could affect the warranty.

#2 Engine Block Heater - My main purpose of this question was to see what they would charge to install one as I really don't want to get into doing it myself. He stated "We've never installed one on a Prius and unless you're in 0 degree weather you really don't need one." He went on to say that "the EBH would only keep the engine at about 25 degrees in 0 degree weather" and that "the engine coolant dump system in the Prius is sufficient and an EBH is not necessary."

He didn't even know what to quote me as a price because he said he would have to drain the entire coolant system when installing the EBH (he was patient with me but this one also got me fired up). He said it could be up to a 2 hour procedure and without ever doing it before it could be pricey. I told him I could give him step by step instructions from this site to do it and he still could not quote me a price. Maybe a trip down there with instructions in hand would get him closer to quoting me a price.

My EBH is on order and should arrive in the next week or two so before my 5k service is due I'd like to have a good oil change and EBH plan in place.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #135 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

On the subject of the oil, 5w20 vs 0w20 is no big deal. I'd stick with the 5w and not mess with the warranty issue. The latter number is the one you want to be concerned with anyways, and 20 is fine.

The block heater issue he has all wrong. He is thinking of the old kind where you need to pop out a freeze plug and install a heater in its place. Take the instructions with you down to him and he'll realize he is wrong and should be able to quote you.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
On the subject of the oil, 5w20 vs 0w20 is no big deal. I'd stick with the 5w and not mess with the warranty issue. The latter number is the one you want to be concerned with anyways, and 20 is fine.

The block heater issue he has all wrong. He is thinking of the old kind where you need to pop out a freeze plug and install a heater in its place. Take the instructions with you down to him and he'll realize he is wrong and should be able to quote you.
Their standard oil is 5w30 which I am assuming is in my vehicle now. I plan on taking a trip down there tomorrow to talk to the guy in person and show him the thread from priuschat that details how to do the EBH...maybe that will give him a better idea on the cost...it looks simple enough but not for my unskilled hands.

Here's the thread from priuschat that details the install...not sure you can view it without being logged in but here it is...

Want to install an Engine Block Heater yourself? This guide may help. - PriusChat Forums

I did talk to an independent mechanic today that quoted me $40 to install the EBH (an hour of labor time). He did say I should talk to my Toyota dealer to make sure a non-Toyota dealer install of the EBH does not affect my warranty before going ahead with him on the install.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #137 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Breaking news on the 2010 Prius...

Driving in EV mode is now possible up to 46 mph...incredible!

Used to be you could only drive the Gen II Prius in EV mode up to 41 mph. Being able to do this up to 46 mph almost makes the car all electric driver (with a feather foot of course) up to minimum highway speeds. Now I understand why people are reporting 65-70 mpg in city driving...as long as you don't mash the go pedal you're cruising on battery power until 46 mph...stunning!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi Matt,

I think you meant to say that the Gen 2 Prius can be operated EV up to fourteen mph?

If I can fit in the Gen 3 comfortably, then it will be quite tempting, though the iQ is also looking sweet...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 06-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #139 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Its generally accepted that it is possible to drive the Gen 2 up into the mid 30s fairly easily. Above that, it becomes very hard to not kick in the ICE. Speeds up to 41 mph have been reported, but I don't think you can do it very easily at all.

People have reported the Gen 3 is much roomier and has increased head room.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #140 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
Their standard oil is 5w30 which I am assuming is in my vehicle now. I plan on taking a trip down there tomorrow to talk to the guy in person and show him the thread from priuschat that details how to do the EBH...maybe that will give him a better idea on the cost...it looks simple enough but not for my unskilled hands.

Here's the thread from priuschat that details the install...not sure you can view it without being logged in but here it is...

Want to install an Engine Block Heater yourself? This guide may help. - PriusChat Forums

I did talk to an independent mechanic today that quoted me $40 to install the EBH (an hour of labor time). He did say I should talk to my Toyota dealer to make sure a non-Toyota dealer install of the EBH does not affect my warranty before going ahead with him on the install.
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act manufacturers may not deny warranty coverage unless they can prove that the aftermarket part in question CAUSED the failure of the part or system needing repair under warranty.