View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
gsimpson
EcoModding Lurker

FocunStein - '02 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 37.14 mpg (US)

theSeven - '88 Mazda RX-7 GXL
90 day: 21.89 mpg (US)

Steve - '93 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 41.35 mpg (US)
lower grill block cleaned up.

I have often been accused of being someone who would spend hours pontificating on a topic rather than acting on it, so I decided to put my efforts where my mouth is and scrap the ugly cardboard plastered all over the nose of my focus.

After reading several success stories here on the forums I purchased some lawn-edging material with an airdam in mind (just gotta figure out a good way to mount it). I realized that this material would also work as a lower grill block fitted in behind the grill.

After cutting off the cardboard I took a good look and discovered a couple of interesting things.

1. The lower grill opening is not as wide as it seems, the outer section on each side is already blocked, apparently that's where foglights would have been mounted if I had purchased a different trim level.

2. There are curved pieces of plastic that lead directly from the sides of the lower grill opening to the rad, which seem to be there to close off the edges air flow and make sure it gets directly to the rad. If I'm blocking off part of the grill opening, should I be trying to move these guys over the the new outside edges of the opening, or fashioning something like them?

I cut off an 8 inch chuck of edging material, but the rounded lip wasn't letting it sit flush with the inside of the grill opening.

I trimmed off the rounded lip, and made some hi-tech holes for my supreme-quality mounting hardware (thank heavens for pocket knives and wire ties!)

And here it is mounted. Looks pretty stealthy, it blends in well with the existing grill. Stealth wasn't a requirement, but it certainly doesn't detract!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lower_grill_detail_psngr.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	3651   Click image for larger version

Name:	edging.jpg
Views:	1720
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	3652   Click image for larger version

Name:	8inch_piece.jpg
Views:	1722