View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #1158 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Hey Steve,

The cabling is fine inside the conduit. Insulation is unimportant. Wires and cables are fine at any temperature except hot.

Since this car originally had an exhaust pipe running right down the middle, I simply put the conduit where that was. That is HIGHER than the bottom of the car, because of the exhaust "tunnel".

Running conduit inside the car would take up extra space, and there is not good straight line to do it. Flexible conduit is a possibility, but it is very expensive, whereas 2" pipe was about $3 for ten feet. Also, I would have to fish everything through the firewall if I ran it inside.

Conduit makes it nice and easy to have everything together, without having to go around corners and through firewalls. Clean and simple, and out of the way.

EDIT:
On Tom's EV Neon, we actually talked about flipping over the heat shield in the exhaust tunnel to act as an undercover for the conduit. If your conduit, up UNDER and IN your car is getting whacked, you have bigger problems than protecting your cabling.

PS - somebody please remind me in a few days to fix the leak in my driver side mirror! It's letting rain into the passenger compartment!

PPS - Come to think of it, I could run the audio out from the DVD player to the audio in on the stereo and play YouTube video's audio through the car stereo.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 06-08-2009 at 11:12 PM..